Bengali Fish Cutlet Or Fish Croquette Or Machher Chop
In Indian cuisine, a cutlet specifically refers to cooked meat (mutton, beef, fish or chicken) stuffing that is fried with a batter/covering. The meat/fish itself is cooked with spices - onion, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander (cilantro), green chillies, lemon and salt. This is then dipped in an egg mix and then in breadcrumbs, and fried in ghee or vegetable oil.
Steps to Prepare
- Boil the potatoes and keep aside.
- Wash the fish and pat dry. Marinate the fish with some Lemon Juice & Salt and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add green chilies , ginger , garlic and saute for few seconds.Now add the chopped onion & some salt to the pan and fry till golden brown.
- When the onion becomes golden brown add the turmeric powder & fish along with the Lemon Juice and cover the pan and cook in low flame tillthe fish becomes soft.
- Check every 5 minutes if the fish is soft or not. When the fish will be soft and tender mash and mix them with the masala.
- Add the boiled potatoes & garam masala powder into it and mix with the fish mixture. Fry the mixture very well to make the mixture dry which will help you to make chops easily.
- After frying the mixture for some time turn off from the heat and let the mixture cool.
- In the mean time make a thin batter with egg and cornflour and keep aside.
- After cooling the mixture now make flat round shaped chops as displayed in photo. Take each chop dip in batter coat with breadcrumbs and place in a flat bowl.
- After doing this step cover the bowl and place the chops in refrigerator for 1-2 hr. When you want to fry them remove from refrigerator.
- Heat Enough Oil to deep fry the Cutlets. When the Oil will be hot enough add the Cutlets and fry till the Cutlets are golden brown.
- Remove the Crispy fried Cutlets from the oil and place onto Paper Towel and serve hot.
- If you like the recipe, please go to my Facebook Page and hit the like button to get regular updates.