Apple Kiwi Kheer Recipe for the season
- Oct 12, 2018
- by Ankush from Zoutons.com
Apple Kiwi Kheer Recipe for the season
We are familiar with Rice kheer but what about the above-mentioned recipe. You should try it once, something new and tasty is always lovable to our taste buds!
- Apple Kiwi kheer is a good way to have fruits in the dessert, sweet and delicious dish to have. It’s actually a sub-type of rice kheer that we Indians naturally have. But this is healthier as it contains fruit that are full of carbohydrate, minerals and proteins too.
- Kheer is a rice pudding from the cuisine of Indian sub-continent. This has different forms in India like rice kheer in Bengal, Bihar but in Assam it’s made up of fruits and sometimes rice is replaced by sago. In south, it has many forms too carrot payasam, wheat, coconut, sago, jackfruit pulp etc. Hyderabadi gil-e-firdaus (translated as “clay of paradise”) made of milk and bottle gourd as thick kheer. So, from all the regional variations fruit kheer i.e. apple kiwi has come up.
- These tropical fruits are packed with vitamin C (a whopping 154% per 100 grams), vitamin A, vitamin B6, calcium, iron & magnesium that are extremely beneficial for your health. But did you know, that besides being healthy, kiwi fruit benefits your skin and hair.
- This is best served as dessert to soothe the taste buds. It’s mainly a special dish for festive season in some parts the northern as well as eastern India. Diwali(Navaratri) turns out to be the perfect time to taste this awesome dessert.
- 1 Kiwi
- 1.5 cups of Milk
- 2-3 tsp of Condensed Milk
- ½ cup Dry fruits (cashew nuts, dried grapes, almond etc.)
- 1 tsp of ghee
Serves 1-2 people with a preparation time of 1 minute and cooking time of 15 minutes approximately.
All this items or ingredients are available in grocery shops.
For the best products and great deals, one can go for online grocery stores like Bigbasket, grofers, etc. where you can get flat 20% cashback on shopping or flat Rs.100/- off using the food coupons and also get the items delivered to your door steps for free.
- First of all, we need to boil the milk on a pan in a low flame and along with that need to stir the milk frequently to prevent burning.
- While the milk boils in a smaller pan put 1 tsp of ghee and heat it to melt then thoroughly spread it over the pan and according to your choice you can add grated almonds to roast.
- Now, the grated apple and kiwi is put on the pan and sautéed for a while, let this dry and soften the grated apple a bit but still retaining the crunch. We need to do this for more or less 3minutes. The color will turn to light brown.
- It’s time to turn our attention back to the milk which has come down to half by now (1.5 cup at this moment), thickened milk should now be mixed with 2-3 tsp of condensed milk. On individual’s choice, one can add cardamom and saffron.
- After completing all this, we have to mix the grated apple and kiwi mixture with the prepared milk. Then on low flame dry a little bit.
- This preparation can be done through stove, microwave with same time span of cooking quite a bit i.e. less time for microwave.
- So, Apple kiwi Kheer is all ready to be served just after some garnishment with cherries, dry fruits and a pinch of saffron on the middle to give it an extravagant look.
During the preparation, some of the things should be noticed like the boiling of milk to thicken it can eventually turn to burn it if not in low flame and frequently stirred, the heating of ghee should not be in high temperature or else the grated apple and kiwi will immediately get burnt off when put on it. With all this precautionary measure, there will be no problem in preparing this Indian delicacy. Have a great time preparing this dish and enjoy this coming festive season with your family.
If anyone doesn’t want to prepare this but still have the craving they can buy as Custard Apple Kheer from Zomato as there are available restaurants to serve dessert close to this recipe. Although, rather than ordering it’s a very simple dish to prepare and it always true “something own handmade is always better than the perfect ones” and loving to your family also.