Kakrar Jhal Or Bengali Style Crab CurryMy Mom is a very good cook. Actually She is my inspiration. She never feels tired while cooking. My Dad is a foodie. He can not eat much but love to taste different types of food. Earlier days my Grandfater had a Farm House in Sundor Bon. We used to go their to spent our holidays. The place was a remot village at that time. We never bought vegetables, fish or meat from the market. Infact there was no regualr market like Town. There was a wholesale market, which were placed once a week. One day my dad got some crabs from our paddy field and dropped infront of me. I was so scared at that time. But mom caught them, cleaned and cooked. It was just splendid. This recipe is my moms special Crab Curry recipe.
Crab is a popular dish in Sea side areas such as Bengal, Mumbai, Goa, South Indian. Because crab is easily available in those areas. Crab curry recipe is more less same in those areas. Here I'm sharing Bengali crab curry recipe which is also called as "Kakrar Jhal" in West Bengal". This is very easy and quick recipe to cook.
Steps to Prepare
- Clean the crab and marinate them with turmeric and salt and keep aside for 10 minutes. Now heat mustard oil in a pan and fry the crab pieces.
- In the same oil add bay leaf and ginger garlic paste and sauté for 10-15 seconds. Now add the chopped onion and some salt to it and cover the pan to make the onion soft.
- When the onion becomes soft fry the onion till light brown and add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder , red chili powder and fry till separates.
- When oil starts separating add the fried crab and fry for 5 minutes along with the masala. Add 1 cup water to the pan and boil for 10 minutes.
- Gravy will not be so much. Adjust salt according to your taste. Enjoy crab curry with steamed rice.