Fish curry is a mouth-watering spicy gravy style recipe. Fish curry goes best with steamed rice . But in different parts of India fish curry is made in different versions.
Kerala Style Pomfret Fish Curry
Fish curry is a mouth-watering spicy gravy style recipe. Fish curry goes best with steamed rice . But in different parts of India fish curry is made in different versions. Here I have made "Kerala Style Fish Curry" with pomfret fish. Let's see how I have made this mouth watering curry.
Ingredients of Kerala Fish Curry
- Pomfret Fish 1 large cut into medium size pieces.
- White Onion chopped 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic chopped 2 tablespoons
- Green chilies 4/5
- Curry leaves -8/10
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Grated coconut 1/2 cup
- Gambooge 2 soaked in warm water for 1 hour
- Whole black mustard 1 teaspoon
- Whole fenugreek 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt as per taste
- Vegetable Oil 4 tablespoons
How to make Kerala Fish Curry Recipe
- Wash the fish and marinate them with turmeric and salt and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Now make a smooth paste with onion, ginger, garlic, 2 green chilies & grated coconut.
- Now heat oil in a non-stick pan and fry the fish lightly ( in original recipe fish should not be fried, but I don't like raw fish in may gravy) .
- In the same oil add mustard and fenugreek seeds, fry them till they splatter. Now add curry leaves and the onion,ginger, garlic, green chili & grated coconut paste. Add some salt and fry till the paste changes color.
- When it starts changing color add turmeric, both red chili powder, coriander powder and little water to the pan and fry till masala leaves oil.
- When the masala starts leaving oil add the gambooge soaked water and additional 1 cup water and bring the gravy to a nice boil.
- When the gravy starts boiling add the fried fish, green chilies and some curry leaves.
- After 10 minutes of boiling off the oven and serve the fish curry with steamed rice.