This kind of curries are always be the only Dinner/Lunch item. So it is always cooked along with Potat ,Egg and freshly ground spices,
Dak Bungalow/Bangla chicken Curry
Dak Bungalow (or Bangla) cuisine, sadly, is a near-forgotten culinary treasure that survives among a few remaining khansama families and Anglo Indian households . Dak bungalows were rest houses where the travelers used to take rest while on a journey, or used as a night stop during a trip. At that time the Care-taker had their own Poultry, Goat at Dak Bungalows for easy milk and meat supplies. This kind of curries are always be the only Dinner/Lunch item. So it is always cooked along with Potat ,Egg and freshly ground spices, as that time Store Bought spices were not being used in cooking.
Ingredients of Dak Bungalow Chicken
- Whole Chicken 1 cleaned, removed fat and cut into pieces.
- Onion Medium size 2,
- Ginger paste 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Garlic paste 2 tablespoons
- Green Chili paste 2 tablespoons
- Kashmiri Red chili powder 1/2 tablespoo
- n Red chili powder 1/2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 2 teaspoons
- Nutmeg powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Javetry or mace powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder 1 pinch
- Bay leaf 1
- Cardamom pods 4/5
- Cloves 5/6
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Whole milk yoghurt 1 cup
- Egg 4 hard boiled
- Potato 2 large cut into big pieces
- Mustard oil 5 tablespoons
- Ghee 2 tablespoons
How to make Dak Bungalow Chicken Recipe
- Take the boiled eggs and potatoes and marinate them with little salt and turmeric and keep them aside for 10 minutes.
- Now Heat oil in a large pan and fry the eggs and potatoes and keep them on a paper towel. Now finely chop 1 medium size onion and make a paste of the other one and set aside.
- Now take half of the chopped onion and fry them till light brown and put on a paper towel and let it cool. When the fried onion will be cold enough make a paste of the onion along with 2 tablespoons of yoghurt.
- Now marinate the chicken with salt, turmeric, red chili, Kashmiri red chili, green chili paste, yoghurt, ginger and garlic paste, coriander powder, raw onion paste and little oil and keep aside for 2-3 hours.
- After 2-3 hours heat oil and add 1 tablespoon of ghee. Now add the whole garam masala like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods and bay leaf and fry till the fragrance comes from them.
- Now add the half of the chopped onion into the pan and some salt and fry till light brown. Now add the marinated chicken pieces and the brown onion and yoghurt paste into it and fry for 5-10 minutes.
- Now cover the pan and simmer the oven to lower medium heat for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes open the lid and add the fried potatoes and eggs and cover the pan again for another 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes open the lid and check if the chicken is cooked enough or not. If the chicken and the potatoes are cooked then higher the oven and boil the gravy on high flame for 10 minutes.
- Now pour the Dak Bunglow Chicken Curry in a large serving bowl and sprinkle nutmeg powder, mace powder and cinnamon powder and some ghee on the top of the curry and serve with steamed rice or polao or any Indian bread.