Bengali Style Mackerel Fish Curry
Mackerel is a very tasty sea fish with very strong flavor and very similar to Bengali "Hilsha" fish.
Ingredients of Mackerel Fish Curry
- Mackerel fish 1 medium cut into thick pieces
- Potato 1 peeled and cut into long pieces
- Eggplant 1 cut into long pieces
- Green chilies 5 to 6
- Cumin seed 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Kalonji 1 teaspoon
- Mustard paste 2 tablespoons
- Salt as per taste
- Mustard oil 2+1 tablespoons
You may also like
How to make Mackerel Fish Curry Recipe
- First make a paste of cumin, coriander and 3-4 green chilies in a spice grinder with 1 tablespoon of water(Paste might not be fine, but that does not matter). Take a bowl, pour the masala paste and add some turmeric to it and keep aside.
- Take the fish pieces, clean and wash them and rinse. Now marinate the fish with some salt and turmeric and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Now heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan, lightly fry the fish and take them out of the pan and place on a paper towel sheet.
- In the same pan temper the oil with kalonji and 1-2 green chilies. When they start cracking add potato and eggplant pieces ,some salt and fry them lightly.
- Add the masala paste to the pan and fry with the vegetables. Fry for 3-4 minutes and then add 1 1/2 cup of water to the pan.
- Add the fried fish and cover the pan, cook on low heat till the vegetables are cooked. Check after 10-15 minutes if the vegetables are cooked or not.
- If they are cooked open the lid and higher the oven to bring the gravy a nice boil. Now add the Mustard paste and 1 tablespoon of Mustard oil into the gravy and boil for 5 minutes.
- The gravy should be light and thin. So do not boil the gravy. After 5 minutes turn off the oven and serve "Mackerel Fish Curry" with plain rice for lunch and ENJOY.......
Serving TipsServe this light fish curry with a Steamed rice along with a piece of lime.
NotesYou can make this curry with Hilsha Or Rohu Fish.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.46/5
No of likes - 353