Echor O Chingrir Dalna Or Jack Fruit & Prawn Curry
That means Green Jackfruit Curry.The jackfruit is believed indigenous to the rain forests of the Western Ghats of India. It spread early on to other parts of India, southeast Asia, the East Indies and ultimately the Philippines. It is often planted in central and eastern Africa and is fairly popular in Brazil and Surinam. Enchor Chicngri is a Green Jack-fruit cooked with Prawn in a spicy gravy, goes well with Steamed Rice Or Roti.
Steps to Prepare
- Make sure to rub oil in your hand before cutting green jack fruit to avoid sticky latex to stick to your hand. Skin off the Jack fruit and cut into small pieces.
- Heat 4 cups water in a pan with some salt & Turmeric and when the water will start boiling add the jack fruit. Cook till the jack fruit is tender. Drain and keep aside.
- If you are using canned jack-fruit then just cut the can and drain the water of the can and soak the chunks in cold plain water for 1 hour to remove the sourness of the preservatives .
- Clean the prawns and marinate with turmeric and salt and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a wok and fry prawns and potatoes and keep in a bowl. In the same oil add bay leaf and cumin seed and fry for a while.
- Then add chopped onion and fry till golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste and stir fry for 5 minutes. Add turmeric, Green chili and red chili powder and again fry with 1 tea spoon of water. Now add chopped tomatoes and cover the pan to soften the tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes become pulpy, open the lid and fry the masala very well till oil separates from the masala. Add salt to taste and some sugar to it.
- Add fried prawns, potatoes & boiled jack-fruit and fry to mix the masala with them. After 5 minutes add 2 cups of warm water to the mixture and cover the curry and simmer the heat to cook the potatoes very well.
- When potatoes are well cooked pour the curry in a big serving bowl and sprinkle some Garam Masala powder.Serve the curry with steamed rice.