Bhaja Muger Dal Bengali Style(Bengali Mung Dal)In almost every Bengali Family one or two days are reserved for Vegetarian meals. In those days We usually eat total Vegetarian Dishes without Onion & Garlic. As in Bengali Cuisine Onion, Garlic & Masoor Dal is considered as Non-Vegetarian. In those Vegetarian Meals Mung or Mug Dal takes an important part of the Meal. Bhaja mooger dal is a Bengali delicacy. The split moong dal is roasted in ghee/oil till it turns deep golden (not brown) and gives a nutty aroma. Sometimes it is dry roasted as well. It is then cooked and tempered with spices which only enhance the flavor.It makes the plain dal even better in taste and flavor. Usually thinly sliced Potato or Bringle fries are served with this Dal.
The mung or moong bean (also known as green gram or golden gram or pesalu in Telugu) is the seed of Vigna radiata, native to the Indian subcontinent,and mainly cultivated in China, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Burma, Bangladesh and India, but also in hot and dry regions of Southern Europe and the Southern United States.It is used as a foodstuff in both savory and sweet dishes.
Steps to Prepare
- Heat a pan and roast the mung dal till light brown and wash the roasted dal under cold water and boil the dal till the daal becomes soft and keep aside.
- Take a pan and heat oil & ghee in it , fry chopped coconut, cashew & golden raisins and keep aside.
- If you want your dal to be simple and regular type, don't add chopped coconut, cashew, raisins and peas. Just skip this step.
- Now in the remaining oil and ghee add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and bay leaf and fry till fragrance comes from the whole spices.
- Now add the cumin and red chili and fry for 1 minute. Now add the grated ginger, turmeric, salt & sugar and fry for another 1 and 1/2 minutes.
- After 1 and 1/2 minutes of frying them add the boiled dal and bring the dal to a nice boil for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes off the stove and place the dal in a bowl and sprinkle some garam masala and ghee on the top of the cooked dal.
- Another easy version of this dal. Take the roasted dal, turmeric powder, salt, cinamon, clove, cardamom, grated ginger all together in a pressure cooker. Add 1 1/3 cup water to the cooker and pressure cook upto 2-3 whistles.
- Turn off the heat and let the cooker release the pressure itself. When all the pressure will be released, open the cooker. Now heat oil & ghee in a pan, fry chopped coconut, cashew & golden raisins. In the same pan add bay leaf , chili & cumin seeds. Fry for a while, do not burn.
- Add the boiled dal & some sugar. Let the dal boil for 10 minutes on low flame. After 10 minutes turn off heat and serve with steamed rice.
If you like the recipe, please go to my Facebook Page and hit the like button for regular updates.