This recipe is a very popular Bengali "Koi Fish" recipe in a rich, thick, spicy only Mustard Oil based recipe, which should be served with Plain Steamed Rice as Lunch. This recipe does not come in a regular lunch menu, but for the guests, this is a very good item for lunch.
Tel Koi or Climbing Perch Fish in Mustard Oil Gravy
This recipe is a very popular Bengali "Koi Fish" recipe in a rich, thick, spicy only Mustard Oil based recipe, which should be served with Plain Steamed Rice as Lunch. This recipe come in a regular lunch menu, but for the guests, this is a very good item for lunch. The Koi I am talking about is also known as climbing perch and belongs to a family of carps. I am usually pretty scared of Koi with its hook like sharp bone and have cooked it only a couple of times. The Koi in packets that I get here is fully cleaned and that gives me much confidence.
Ingredients of Tel Koi
- Koi Fish 6 cleaned and washed
- Mustard oil 1 cup
- Onion juice 4 tablespoons (grate a large onion and strain the juice with a clean cheese cloth)
- Ginger Paste 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Green chili 4
- Tomato Puree 1 tablespoon
- Bay Leaf 1
- Cloves 2 /3
- Cardamom pods 2
- Cinnamon 1 stick
- Coriander Powder 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1 Tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder As per taste
- Unsweetened Yogurt 2 tablespoons lightly beaten
- Salt As per taste
- Sugar As per taste
- Cilantro (Chopped) To garnish
How to make Tel Koi Recipe
- Marinate the fish with turmeric powder and salt. Let it stand for 1/2 an hour.
- Heat oil in wok, when it smokes, simmer. Fry one fish at a time, till they turn deep golden on both sides. Take them out from the wok and keep aside.
- Now in the same oil add 2 green chilies, bay leaf , cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods and lightly fry them.In the meanwhile make a paste of cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chilli powder, tomato puree and keep aside .
- When the green chilies and whole spices are lightly fried add the ginger, garlic paste and the onion juice and fry for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds add the masala paste which you made before, tomato puree, some salt & sugar and fry till oil separates from the masala.When oil starts separating from masala add the yogurt, and fry for 1 minute on low heat.
- After frying the masala add 1/3 cup of water to it and the fried fish and bring the gravy to boil for 5-7 minutes. After boiling the gravy turn off the stove and place the Tel Koi in a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro ,,green chilies and serve with steamed rice.
- Remember this dish is an oil based gravy. So it will be very spicy and oily gravy.