The meat/fish itself is cooked with spices - onion, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander (cilantro), green chillies, lemon and salt. This is then dipped in an egg mix and then in breadcrumbs, and fried in ghee or vegetable oil.
Bengali Fish Croquette Or Machher Chop
In Indian cuisine, a cutlet specifically refers to cooked meat (mutton, beef, fish or chicken) stuffing that is fried with a batter/covering. The meat/fish itself is cooked with spices - onion, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander (cilantro), green chillies, lemon and salt. This is then dipped in an egg mix and then in breadcrumbs, and fried in ghee or vegetable oil.
Ingredients of Macher Chop
For the Fish Stuffing :
- White Fish Fillet 2 Large fillets
- Potato 2 medium size
- Onion 1/3 cup chopped
- Garam Masala Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic(Minced) 1 tablespoon
- Ginger 1 tablespoon
- Green chili 4 chopped( adjust to your taste)
- Salt As per taste
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice 2 tablespoons
For the Cutlet Batter :
- Bread Crumbs 1 cup
- Cornflour 4 Tablespoons
- Egg (Whole) 1 lightly beaten
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
How to make Macher Chop Recipe
- Boil the potatoes and keep aside.
- Wash the fish and pat dry. Marinate the fish with some Lemon Juice & Salt and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add green chilies , ginger , garlic and saute for few seconds.Now add the chopped onion & some salt to the pan and fry till golden brown.
- When the onion becomes golden brown add the turmeric powder & fish along with the Lemon Juice and cover the pan and cook in low flame tillthe fish becomes soft.
- Check every 5 minutes if the fish is soft or not. When the fish will be soft and tender mash and mix them with the masala.
- Add the boiled potatoes & garam masala powder into it and mix with the fish mixture. Fry the mixture very well to make the mixture dry which will help you to make chops easily.
- After frying the mixture for some time turn off from the heat and let the mixture cool.
- In the mean time make a thin batter with egg and cornflour and keep aside.
- After cooling the mixture now make flat round shaped chops as displayed in photo. Take each chop dip in batter coat with breadcrumbs and place in a flat bowl.
- After doing this step cover the bowl and place the chops in refrigerator for 1-2 hr. When you want to fry them remove from refrigerator.
- Heat Enough Oil to deep fry the Cutlets. When the Oil will be hot enough add the Cutlets and fry till the Cutlets are golden brown.
- Remove the Crispy fried Cutlets from the oil and place onto Paper Towel and serve hot.
- If you like the recipe, please go to my Facebook Page and hit the like button to get regular updates.