Eggplant ( Begun in Bengali) is a very popular vegetable in Bengali cuisine. This vegetable is used in many veg or non veg dishes.
Ahamori Begun Or Begun Basanti Or Eggplant/Brinjal Bengali Curry
- Marinate the eggplant with turmeric powder, salt & little sugar and keep aside for 1 hour. Heat oil in a nonstick pan and deep fry the eggplant and put on a paper towel.
- In the same oil fry the whole red chili and onion with little salt and cover the pan to make the onion soft. When the onion becomes soft higher the oven and fry the onion till golden brown. Now add ginger garlic paste and fry well.
- Add turmeric powder, salt & sugar and the mustard paste with little water and keep frying for 2-3 minutes. Now add the beaten curd and on high temperature keep frying the masala For couple of minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and the fried eggplant to the pan and cover the pan to cook the eggplant properly. After 5 minute open the lid and keep boiling the gravy.
- Remember the gravy must not be too thick or too thin. Before serving add some chopped cilantro on the eggplant curry.
Serving TipsServe this dish with Paratha or Puri or Plain Rice or Pulao.
- When you will add the curd, it may curdle. So you may add whole milk sour cream instade of curd.
- And do not use the cold curd or sour cream. The curd or sour cream should be at room temperature.