Ahamori Begun Or Begun Basanti Or Eggplant/Brinjal Bengali CurryEggplant Or Bringle is called "Begun" in Bengali. This is a very important vegetable in everyday's Indian cooking. This is very tasty Vegetable too. When I was a teenager in television there was only few channels. One of them was DDBangla. In that channel our famous veteran actress Supriya Devi hosted a Cooking show called "Benudir Ranna Ghor". IT was a superb show. In that show She cooked an Eggplant recipe called ""Begun Basanti". What an awesome recipe it was. That name was always in my mind. After 10-12yrs I got the same recipe from one of my Dearest Virtual Didi. She gave me the recipe in different name "Ahamori Begun"....
Eggplant ( Begun in Bengali) is a very popular vegetable in Bengali cuisine. This vegetable is used in many veg or non veg dishes. Here one of my Didi gave me this recipe and I've tried this for first time in lunch . And it was so tasty and flavorful you can't imagine. This dish can be made for potluck dinner also.
Steps to Prepare
- Marinate the eggplant with turmeric powder, salt & little sugar and keep aside for 1 hour. Heat oil in a nonstick pan and deep fry the eggplant and put on a paper towel.
- In the same oil fry the whole red chili and onion with little salt and cover the pan to make the onion soft. When the onion becomes soft higher the oven and fry the onion till golden brown. Now add ginger garlic paste and fry well.
- Add turmeric powder, salt & sugar and the mustard paste with little water and keep frying for 2-3 minutes. Now add the beaten curd and on high temperature keep frying the masala For couple of minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and the fried eggplant to the pan and cover the pan to cook the eggplant properly. After 5 minute open the lid and keep boiling the gravy.
- Remember the gravy must not be too thick or too thin. Before serving add some chopped cilantro on the eggplant curry.
Serving TipsServe this dish with Paratha or Puri or Plain Rice or Pulao.
- When you will add the curd, it may curdle. So you may add whole milk sour cream instade of curd.
- And do not use the cold curd or sour cream. The curd or sour cream should be at room temperature.