Doi Machh Or Doi Rui
"Doi Machh" is not an authentic Bengali fish recipe. It's somewhat like fusion curry. It's a nice dish to serve the guests. Doi mach is yoghurt based Rohu/Katla fish curry. In this curry fried fishes are marinated in seasoned beaten yoghurt and then cooked on low heat. Aromatic sweet and sour taste of the gravy is easy to cook but very delicious. I've made this dish with Rohu but you can try this with any "Carp/Buffalo/Grass Carp/Tilapia".
Aromatic sweet and sour taste of the gravy is easy to cook but very delicious.
Ingredients of Doi Rui
- Rohu Fish 4 big pieces
- Whole milk yoghurt or Sour Cream 1 cup
- Turmeric powder 11/2 teaspoon
- Onion paste 1/2 cup
- Ginger & Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
- Green chilies - 4
- Salt and sugar as per taste
- Vegetable Oil or Canola Oil - 4 tablespoons
- Bay leaf 1 large
- 1 Green Cardamom Pod
- 1-2 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee & chopped cilantro for garnishing
You may also like
How to make Doi Rui Recipe
- Clean the fish pieces and marinate them with turmeric and salt and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Now take the yoghurt or sour cream and beat well with some salt ,turmeric, Kashmiri red chili powder and keep aside.
- Now heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the marinated fish pieces and put into the beaten yoghurt.
- Add the crushed whole garam masala (Bay eaf,1 green cardamom pod, 1-2 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick) in the same oil and fry till fragrance comes from the whole spices.
- When the smell comes out add the onion paste and some salt and fry till the onion becomes light brown.
- Now add ginger and garlic paste to the pan and fry for couple of minutes. Now low the heat and add the beaten yoghurt along with the fish pieces and cook for 5 minutes on the same heat. But do not stir, otherwise the yoghurt will be curdled.
- After 5 minutes add 1/2 cup water and boil the gravy on medium heat for another 5 minutes .
- Now turn off the heat and put the "Doi Machh" on a serving plate and serve with silted green chili.
Serving TipsBefore serving you can sprinkle some ghee on the gravy.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.56/5
No of likes - 1137