Modak is a sweet dumpling which is very popular sweet in Western and Southern India.Modak can be steamed or fried.
Steamed Modak Or Indian Sweet Dumplings
Modak is a sweet dumpling which is very popular sweet in Western and Southern India.Modak can be steamed or fried. The steamed version called "Ukdiche Modak". Modaks have a special importance in the worship of the Hindu god Ganesh, the Elephant Head God. It is believed that modak is Ganpati's favorite food.
Ingredients of Modak
For the sweet stuffing :
- Grated coconut 1 cup
- Grated mawa or khoya 4 tablespoons
- Crashed Green Cardamom 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped Almonds 10
- Gur or Jaggery 1 cup
- Ghee 1 tablespoon
For the dough :
- Rice flour 1 cup
- Ghee 1 tablespoon
- Salt 1/3 teaspoon
- Water 1 cup
How to make Modak Recipe
For the filling :
- In a non-stick pan, add Grated Coconut, Grated Khoya and jaggery and cook over a slow flame till the jaggery melts and the mixture comes together. Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- At the end add the chopped almonds and mix with the Coconut & Jaggery mixture.
To make the dough :
- Take another non-stick pan boil 1 cup of water. Add 1 teaspoon Ghee and a little salt in the boiling water and stir.
- Reduce the flame, add the rice flour while stirring continuously. Whisk well so that no lumps remain. Cover with a lid and keep aside for about 20 minutes.
- Grease your palms with a little oil and knead the dough while it is still warm; if the dough cools it will get lumpy, if it is not kneaded.
- You could even use a hand blender to knead the dough. But I will recommend to kneed it with your hands. Now make small balls from the dough. Flatten the dough ball on the palm of your hands or with your fingers.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the coconut + jaggery+ nuts filling in the center. Pinch the edges and bring the fluted edges in the center. Join the center and pinch off the top. Taper the top.
- Now make the rest of modaks in a similar way. Now Prepare a steamer by adding 2 cups of water, a teaspoon of oil and heat it till the water comes to a boil.
- While the water is simmering, place the modaks on a greased steamer plate and steam for 6 to7 minutes. I used my Bamboo Steamer to steam the modaks.
- Once the modaks are cooked they will turn translucent. Serve hot drizzled with pure ghee.