Ricotta Cheese Pudding Or Chhanar Payesh
Chhanar Payesh Or Ricotta Cheese Pudding is a very delicious dessert for Indian Festivals, specially for Bengali Durga Puja. This is an Bengali authentic dish. This dessert tastes awesome. In every spoon of this Pudding you feel great. This is little time consuming dish to make. But when you will serve to your guests the preparation time will worth it. This dessert will melt in your mouth.
Steps to Prepare
Make the Chhana/Paneer First :
- First take a sauce pan and add 1 tablespoon of water at the bottom and then add the 4 cups of Milk for the chhana and bring it to a boil.
- When the Milk has started boiling, lower the heat and add the Vinegar + Water little by little. The milk will start curdling. Do not stir the milk, let it curdle itself. Now add all the Vinegar + Water and turn off the oven and set the curdled milk aside for 10 minutes.
- If your milk has not curdled enough you may add 1 tablespoon more Vinegure to the milk. Now take a cheese cloth in a large strainer and strain all the curdled milk and run under the cold water to remove the smell of Vinegar.
- Now make a knot with four corners of the cheese cloth and hang from your tap for 2-3 hours to remove all the excess water.
- After 2-3 hours press the Cheese cloth with Chhana to remove excess water if any. Now take the Chhana on a cleaned plain surface and mash it with your palm to make the Chhana smooth and soft.
If you are using Ricotta Cheese then just escape this Chhana Making and mashing step.
Steps For Payesh/Pudding :
- Now take another sauce pan and add 1 tablespoon of water at the bottom and then add the 4 cups of Milk Or Half n Half, Crashed Green Cardamom pods & Sugar for making the "Payesh".
- Bring the Milk or Half n Half to a nice boil to reduce and thicken the quantity of the milk or Half n Half . When you will be satisfied with the thickness of the Milk Or Half n Half start adding the mashed Chhana Or Ricatta Cheese little by little at a time.
- Add all the Chhana OR Ricotta Cheese and start mixing it with the milk. When the Chhana OR Ricotta Cheese has mixed with the Milk or Half n Half perfectly and the mixture will look like thick Pudding OR Payesh turn off the oven and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Place the "Payesh" inside the refrigerator for 4-5 hours. Remove before serving.
Garnish with chopped Pista and Saffron Threads and serve chilled.