Chhanar Payesh Or Ricotta Cheese Pudding is a very delicious dessert for Indian Festivals, specially for Bengali Durga Puja. This is an Bengali authentic dish.
Ricotta Cheese Pudding Or Chhanar Payesh
For the Chhana/Paneer : For Pudding :
For the Chhana/Paneer :
For Pudding :
Make the Chhana/Paneer First :
- First take a sauce pan and add 1 tablespoon of water at the bottom and then add the 4 cups of Milk for the chhana and bring it to a boil.
- When the Milk has started boiling, lower the heat and add the Vinegar + Water little by little. The milk will start curdling. Do not stir the milk, let it curdle itself. Now add all the Vinegar + Water and turn off the oven and set the curdled milk aside for 10 minutes.
- If your milk has not curdled enough you may add 1 tablespoon more Vinegure to the milk. Now take a cheese cloth in a large strainer and strain all the curdled milk and run under the cold water to remove the smell of Vinegar.
- Now make a knot with four corners of the cheese cloth and hang from your tap for 2-3 hours to remove all the excess water.
- After 2-3 hours press the Cheese cloth with Chhana to remove excess water if any. Now take the Chhana on a cleaned plain surface and mash it with your palm to make the Chhana smooth and soft.
- If you are using Ricotta Cheese then just escape this Chhana Making and mashing step
Steps For Payesh/Pudding :
- Now take another sauce pan and add 1 tablespoon of water at the bottom and then add the 4 cups of Milk Or Half n Half, Crashed Green Cardamom pods & Sugar for making the "Payesh".
- Bring the Milk or Half n Half to a nice boil to reduce and thicken the quantity of the milk or Half n Half . When you will be satisfied with the thickness of the Milk Or Half n Half start adding the mashed Chhana Or Ricatta Cheese little by little at a time.
- Add all the Chhana OR Ricotta Cheese and start mixing it with the milk. When the Chhana OR Ricotta Cheese has mixed with the Milk or Half n Half perfectly and the mixture will look like thick Pudding OR Payesh turn off the oven and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Place the "Payesh" inside the refrigerator for 4-5 hours. Remove before serving.