In West Bengal catfish (known as Magur) is eaten as a favored delicacy during the monsoons. Catfish meat helps in blood purification.
Catfish Curry Or Magur Machher Kaliya
Ingredients of Catfish Curry
- Catfish/ Magur Machh 1 medium size cut into steak size pieces with skin
- Potato 1 medium cut into chunks
- Onion 1 medium cut into chunks
- Ginger 1 tablespoon roughly chopped
- Garlic 2 to 3 cloves roughly chopped
- Green chilies 2 to 3 (adjust to your taste)
- Tomato 1 large cut into pieces
- Turmeric powder 1 tablespoon
- Red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon Or Adjust to your taste
- Cumin powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard oil 4 tablespoons
- Salt as per taste
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 4 to 5
- Green Cardamom pods 2 to 3
- Ghee or Clarified butter 1 teaspoon
How to make Catfish Curry Recipe
Take the Catfish steaks in a bowl and add some salt and rub on the Catfish steaks for 5 minutes. Now wash them and marinate them with some salt and Turmeric powder and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Heat 3 tablespoons Mustard oil and fry the potatoes and keep them aside. Now fry the marinated steaks till golden brown and put onto paper towel.
Now make a smooth paste with Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Green chilies & Tomato pieces. In the remaining oil heat rest of the Mustard oil. Add the Whole Garam Masalas and fry till a nice aroma comes from them.
Add the Onion, Griner, Garlic, Green Chili & Tomato paste to the oil and fry till the raw smell of the masala goes out. Add Turmeric, Red chili, Cumin powder to the pan and fry till oil start separating from the masala.
Now add the fried Potatoes & Fish Steaks to the masala of the pan and fry them too along with the masala for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of water to the pan and cover the pan with a lid and let the curry cook on medium low heat for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes open the lid and higher the oven for another 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn off the oven, sprinkle some Ghe on the curry and serve hot with Steamed Rice.