Bengali Steamed Prawns is a very easy to make dish, Prawns steamed in Mustard & coconut sauce
Sorshe Bhapa Chingri Or Bengali Steamed Prawn In Mustard Sauce
Ingredients of Bengali Steamed Prawn
- Medium size Prawns 20
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt 1/2+1/2 teaspoon
- White Mustard Seeds 3 tablespoons
- Poppy Seeds 3 tablespoons
- Grated Coconut 1/2 cup
- Red Chili Powder as per taste
- Green chilies 5 to 6
- Sugar 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil 3 to 4 tablespoons
How to make Bengali Steamed Prawn Recipe
- Clean the Prawns very well and wash them, keep them aside. Now marinate the Prawns with 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, take a small spice grinder and make a smooth paste with Mustard seeds, Poppy seeds, 2-3 green chilies, some water & little salt (salt & chilies to remove the bitterness of the mustard seeds).
- Pour the paste in a bowl, add grated coconut, sugar, salt if necessary, red chili powder & green chilies. Add the marinated Prawns in the mixture and keep aside for another 15 minutes.
- Now preheat the oven to 350F Or 175C temperature.
- Take an ovenproof baking bowl, apply some mustard oil inside the bowl, pour the Prawn mixture into the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with an alluminium foil and bake for 20 minutes, or till the Prawns are cooked and change color to ornage. turn off the oven and remove the bowl from the oven but do not open the foil. Remove the foil just before serving.
If you do not have an oven, you can still make this in tiffin box. Take a medium size stainless steel tiffin box, grease the tiffin box with mustard oil, pour the whole 'Prawn Mixture' in the tiffin box, close the lid. Now boil some water in a large bowl, put the closed tiffin box in the boiling water, cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat, let the curry stand for 10 minutes before open. After 10 minutes open the box and serve hot with "Steamed Rice".