Dorbesh Or Bengali Style Boondi Laddu
Dorbesh is nothing but Boondi Laddu. But this Dorbesh is little different from the regular Non-bengali boondi laddu.
Ingredients of Dorbesh
For Boondi Or Bonde :
- Gram flour or Besan 1 cup
- Water 1/2 cup (adjust to make the smooth batter)
- Green cardamom pods (ilaichi) 5 to 6, crashed
- Green , Yellow, Orange food color 2 to 3 drops, if you like ( totally optional)
- Oil to deep fry
For syrup :
- Sugar 1 1/2 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Rose water - 2 to 4 tablespoons
For Dorbesh :
- Cashew, chopped 1/2 cup
- Sultana Or Golden Raisins 1/2 cup
- Grated Khoya Kheer Or Mawa 1 cup
- Ghee Or Melted Butter - to make the laddus
You may also like
How to make Dorbesh Recipe
Making the Boondi :
- Put the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. When the syrup comes to a boil, turn the heat down to medium and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Let it simmer until the syrup is about half thread consistency . Add rose water to the syrup and cover it.
- Now take a bowl and mix the gram flour with water to make a smooth pancake-like batter or slightly thicker than dosa batter.
- Now take 1/2 cup of batter out of the whole batter and put in another small bowl and mix 2-3 drops of green food color to it and keep aside.
- Now take another 1/2 cup of batter from the whole mixture and add 2 drops of orange food color to it and keep aside.
- Finally add 2-3 drops of yellow food color to the main mixture and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. The frying pan should have at least 1 1/2 inches of oil.
- Now test if the oil is at the right temperature, drop a pinch of batter into the oil, if it rises immediately without changing color then the oil is ready.
- Now take a perforated ladle for making this, and pour some yellow batter onto it and shake the perforated ladle to drop the batter fast into the hot oil.
- Half fry them and take them out from the oil with another perforated ladle and immediately soak into the sugar syrup. Repeat the process for the remaining batter.
- While repeating , wipe out the excess batter from the top and back of the ladle used for making boondi. This will help in getting round shape.
- When the yellow batter's boondi are done fry the green colored and the orange colored separately and soak into the syrup together.
Dorbesh Makings :
- Now take the soaked and warm Boondis, Chopped Cashew, Sultana and Khoya kheer in a large bowl and mix all the ingredients together with a spatula.
- Now rub your palms with ghee, take 3 tablespoons of the boondi mixture in your palm and make round shaped laddu by pressing them with your another palm.
- For the very first time, this will be little difficult job, but after 2-3 dorbesh, the job will be easy. In this way make rest of the Dorbesh.
- Do not serve immediately. Place the Dorbesh inside the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Remove 1 hour before serving.
I'm sending this recipe for kolkata foodbloggers' online event hosted by Sarani of www.cocoawindblog.com For more festive dessert recipes do visit her blog.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.56/5
No of likes - 169