Bandhakopi Chingrir Ghonto Or Bengali Prawn Curry
Prawn can go well with any kind of vegetables. It has a wonderful flavor which increases the aroma of any kind of dish. In any vegetable curry just add fried prawns, it will automatically increase the taste of the dish. It goes well in malabar leaves curry, raw jackfruit curry, banana blossoms curry,pointed gourd curry, cauliflower curry, cabbage curry etc. I've already shared a recipe of prawn, in which it was cooked with Raw Jackfruit. Today I'm going to share a recipe of Prawn Which is cooked with Cabbage & Potato. I had this "Bandhakopi Chingrir Ghonto" in my aunt's house. She made this for me, as she knows I love prawn, so she cooked everything with prawns from starter to main coarse. But I liked this dish the most. So I learnt the recipe of this dish from her. As my hubby doesn't like prawns, so I do not cook prawns regularlly. But today I was craving for this curry. So prepared this for dinner. And I followed my Aunt's recipe here.
Today I'm going to share a recipe of Prawn Which is cooked with Cabbage & Potato.
Ingredients of Bandhakopi Chingrir Torkari
- Medium size prawns 10 pieces, cleaned and divined
- Mustard Oil 2 tablespoons
- Potato 1 large, cut into medium chunks
- Bay leaf 1large
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Onion 1/2 cup, chopped
- Ginger & Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili powder as per taste
- Tomato 1 medium, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Sugar 1/2 teaspoon, or adjust to taste
- Cabbage, shreded 4 cups, soaked in salty water for 30 minutes
- Garam masala powder 1/2 teaspoon
How to make Bandhakopi Chingrir Torkari Recipe
- Take the cleaned prawns and toss with of turmeric powder & some salt and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan where you will cook the dish. When the oil gets smokey, add the marinated prawns, and fry for 1 minute, when they just changed the raw color. Do not over fry them, they will become chewy. Take them out of the pan and keep aside.
- Now in the same oil add the potato chunks and fry them till golden and keep them with the fried prawns.
- Now in the same oil add cumin seeds & bay leaf and fry for 30 seconds-1 minute. Now add chopped onion and fry till the onion becomes golden brown.
- When the onion becomes golden brown add the ginger garlic paste to the pan and sprinkle some water into the pan, it will prevent the onion from burning. Fry this mixture for couple of minutes, till the raw smell of the garlic goes off.
- Now add turmeric, cumin powder & red chili powder to the pan, and again sprinkle some water to the pan. Fry for 30 seconds, and then add chopped tomatoes to the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer the heat for 5 minute to cook the tomato.
- After 5 minutes, open the lid and you will see the tomatoes are pulpy and messy. Now turn the heat to high. Fry the masala mixture till oil oozes from the mixture. Adjust salt according to your taste.
- Now add the fried potato & prawns to the pan and fry for couple of minutes. Add the shredded cabbage to the pan, mix all together and cover the pan, simmer the heat to medium low till the potatoes are completely cooked.
- It will take 20 minutes. Cabbage will release some water, and in this water the curry will be cooked. So no need to add any extra water to the pan.
- When the potatoes are cooked completely, and the cabbage looks messy, turn the heat on high and stir fry them for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, sprinkle some garam masala on the curry and mix well. Adjust the salt and serve with Roti/Chapatti/Paratha Or Steamed rice.
Serving TipsServe this dish with Paratha or Puri or Plain Rice or Pulao.
NotesIf you do not like prawns, avoid it. Without adding prawns the rest of the recipe is the same.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.45/5
No of likes - 415