This devils are made with half hard boiled eggs, wrapped with potato mixture, dipped in batter, coated with bread crumbs and then deep fried.
Kolkatar Famous Dimer Devil/Chop Or Egg Devil
For the Potato Mixture : For the batter : Other Ingredients :
For the Potato Mixture :
For the batter :
Other Ingredients :
Make the Potato Mixture first :
- Take the potatoes, peel them and boil them in a pressure cooker. Let the potatoes to cool down, and mash them. Make sure there is no lumps in the mashed potato.
- Now heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion, ginger garlic, green chilies and fry till become light golden in color.
- Add turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder and garam masala powder to the pan and sprinkle some water to prevent the spices getting burn. Add salt to taste.
- Fry for few seconds, and then add the mashed potatoes and mix with the masala mixture well. Fry the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the heat and let the mixture completely cool down to room temperature.
Prepare the Eggs :
- In this meantime, cut each hard boiled egg lengthwise and keep aside.
Prepare the batter :
- Take all the ingredients mentioned under the heading of Batter in a bowl, and mix well, add little water, like 1 tablespoon at a time to make a smooth batter.
- The batter should be smooth but thick like pancake batter. So add water as much as you want to make the batter.
Making the Devils :
- Let see the potato mixture has been cool down or not. Add the chopped cilantro to the mixture.
- Take each half egg, now cover the half egg with the potato mixture and shape it to a full egg. Make rest of the devils just like this.
- Now it's time to arrange All Purpose Flour on a clean plate, and the bread crumbs on another plate.
- Take each devil shaped egg, first roll on the All Purpose Flour, shake the excess flour, and then dip into the batter, and finally roll into the bread crumbs. Make rest of the devils in this same way.
- Now keep the bread crumb coated devils in an airtight container and keep inside the refrigerator for overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan. The oil should be smoking hot. Just remove 3-4 egg devils from the container and add to the hot oil carefully.
- Fry till golden brown and take them out of the oil and place on a paper towel. Serve hot by sprinkling some black salt on the "Dimer Devil" and serve with ketchup and chopped cucumber and onion.
See the Step-by-Step "Dimer Devil" recipe here.