Macher Jhal is a very popular and authentic fish recipe of Bengal. As every Indian knows Bengalis are fond of fish, they eat fish almost everyday in a week. Fish is the main item of their daily menu. So there are different items are cooked with fish. Macher Jhol, Macher Kalia, Macher Korma, Macher Jhal etc.
Macher Jhal Or Bengali Fish In Mustard Gravy
This recipe is very easy to prepare quick but it tastes so yummy that you can complete your meal with this curry only. But many people have many different recipe for the same thing. And remember this fish preparation goes best with "Plain Steamed Rice". I'm sharing you my very own recipe for "Macher Jhal". Here it is. Macher Jhal is a very popular and authentic fish recipe of Bengal. As every Indian knows Bengalis are fond of fish, they eat fish almost everyday in a week. Fish is the main item of their daily menu. So there are different items are cooked with fish. Macher Jhol, Macher Kalia, Macher Korma, Macher Jhal etc. Today I'm going to share a very easy but super tasty recipe of fish. Where fish is cooked in thick mustard sauce. And one more very important point for this recipe is, this dish must be cooked in mustard oil.
Ingredients of Macher Jhal
- Rui/Katla/Parshe/Bhetki Or any fish you like 8 pieces
- Turmeric 1 teaspoon
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil 4 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons
- Kalonji/Nigella Seeds/Kalo Jeere 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chili 3 to 4
- Tomato 1 medium, grated
- Black Mustard Seeds 2 tablespoons
- Yellow Mustard Seeds 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped Cilantro for garnishing
How to make Macher Jhal Recipe
- Take the fish and wash under the tap water, marinate with 1 teaspoon turmeric & 1/2 teaspoon salt and keep aside.
- Now take the black & yellow musterd seeds in a grinder, add some salt, 2-3 green chilis & 4 tablespoons water and grind to make a fine paste.
- Take the paste in a medium bowl, add 1/2 cup water into the bowl and make the paste thinner. Now strain the thinner paste through a strainer and keep aside.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a pan, when the oil is smokey hot, add the fish pieces, fry till golden and take them out of the pan and keep aside. Do the same for the rest of the fishes. Do not use the oil, through it if there is any oil in the pan left.
- Heat fresh 2 tablespoons of Oil, add Kalo jeere, Chilis to the pan. Fry for a while and then add the grated Tomato to the pan and fry for 5 seconds just to remove the raw smell of the tomato.
- Now add the thinner musterd paste into the pan, salt & turmeric and let the gravy boil for some time. Add the fried fish pieces to the pan and boil till the gravy thicken and oil starts floating on the top. Turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro on the top and serve with steamed rice.
If you like my recipes, go to my Facebook Page and like my page for regular updates.