Bengalis love Pui shak in stir fry way with eggplant, red pumpkins, potatoes. We serves this stir fried curry with rice & dal in lunch.
Pui Shak Chingrir Macher Mathar Chorchori
Pui Shak is a well known leafy vegetable of West Bengal, Orissa . This is also known as Malabar spinach Or Climbing spinach Or Chinese Spinach etc. in other parts of India. This type of spinach is full of Vitamin A , Vitamin C, Iron & Calcium, but little high in protein per calorie. In West Bengal this leafy vegetable is cooked in vegetarian or non vegetarian both ways. In this Pui Curry fish head, shrimps even small fishes are also added. Bengalis love Pui shak in stir fry way with eggplant, red pumpkins, potatoes. We serves this stir fried curry with rice & dal in lunch. We add fried Rohu fish head, Hilsa fish head, small fried shrimps, fried small fish in this stir fry. "Pui Shak/Shaager Chorchori" is a famous stir fried curry which is serves in any kind of Bengali lunch gathering like Wedding lunch, Rice Ceremony lunch, Or even in Picnic. Almost every Bengali love this with plain rice & masoor dal. This recipe has been adopted from my Granny's regular menu items. Here is the recipe...
Ingredients of Pui Shaker Chorchori
- Shrimps 1 cup Or Rohu/Katla Fish Head 1 large, cut into 4 pieces
- Turmeric 1 teaspoon
- Panch Foron 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil 3 tablespoons
- Green Chilies 2 Or adjust to your taste
- Onion 1 medium, chopped
- Potato 1 medium size, cut into cubes
- Red Pumpkin Or Misti Kumro 10 to 15 small cubes
- Eggplant/Brinjal Or Begun 1 medium size, cut into cubes
- Radish Or Mulo 1 medium size, cut into cubes
- Ridge Gourd Or Jhinge 1 medium size, peeled and cut into medium pieces
- Pui/Poi/Malabar Spinach 1/2 kg , Roughly Chopped
- Sugar to taste
How to make Pui Shaker Chorchori Recipe
- Take the shrimps and peel them carefully and divine. Wash under tap water, rinse and marinate with some salt & 1/2 of the turmeric powder. If you are using fish head, clean & wash them and marinate with salt & turmeric powder and keep aside.
- Take the chopped Pui leaves in a large bowl with lots of water, soak for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes take the leaves out of the water and put into a large pasta strainer. Now take the veggies in a large bowl and wash under tap water, rinse them and keep them aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan or wok, lightly fry the Shrimps, take them out of the pan and keep into a bowl. If using Fish Head, fry them nicely till golden brown and keep aside.
- Add rest of the oil into the pan and add Panch Foron, Green Chili and let them splattur. When they will start splatturing add the chopped onion & veggies, salt, rest of turmeric and stir fry till the veggies looks fried.
- Now add the chopped Pui leaves and Fish head (if using instead of shrimps), cover the pan or wok and simmer the heat to cook all the veggies nicely. No need to add any extra water, because a lot of water will come out from the leaves & veggies.
- Wait for 15 minutes, after 15 minutes open the lid check if the veggies are cooked or not. If they are soft and cooked higher the heat, add sugar and let the excess water to evaporate.
- Keep stirring in between till a nice burnt flavor from the curry. Now add the Fried Shrimps (if using shrimps instead of fish head) into the wok and gently mix with the curry.
- Let the Chorchori stand for 10 minutes and serve with Steamed Rice & Masoor Or Mung Dal.