Muri Ghonto Or Rohu/Katla Fish Head Cooked With Rice
Muri ghonto is an authentic Bengali dish, where the Rohu/Katla fish head is cooked with flavorful rice like Gobindo Bhog Chal. Gobindo Bhog Chal is only available is Bengal. But if you are outside of Bengal, you may use good quality Basmati rice for 'Muri Ghonto'. This recipe I adapted from my mom. She makes this awesome. If my mom makes this, I don't even need anything else this. A plate of rice will have vanished in a minute with this. In this recipe, she always uses only ghee and fresh Katla fish head. I'm giving you her signature recipe which she adopted from her mother,(My Grand Mom). Follow each and every step & ingredients, then you will get the exact dish. So here is the awesome recipe of 'Muri Ghonto'.
Muri ghonto is a authentic Bengali dish, where the Rohu/Katla fish head is cooked with flavorful rice like Gobindo Bhog Chal.
Ingredients of Muri Ghonto
- Rohu/Katla Fish Head 1 large fish head of 3-5 kg fish, fresh & cut into pieces
- Turmeric 1 teaspoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil 1/2 cup
- Gobindo Bhog Or Basmati Rice 1/2 cup, soak in tap water for 30 minutes
- Ghee 2 tablespoon
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 2
- Green Cardamom 1
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Bay leaf 2
- Whole red chili 1
- Ginger paste 2 teaspoons
- Cumin powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Chili powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
You may also like
How to make Muri Ghonto Recipe
- Clean & wash the fish head. Marinate with 1 teaspoon salt & turmeric and keep aside.
- Now heat the mustard oil in a pan till it smokes. Add the fish pieces and fry them till golden brown and put on a plate.
- But fry them carefully with a lid on the pan, the head can be burst. So be very careful while frying the fish head.
- Now keep aside the oil, we are not using the oil for the curry.
- Heat the ghee in another pan, add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods, cumin seeds, bay leaves & red chili and fry till a nice fragrance comes from them, but be careful, don't burn the whole spices.
- In the meantime make a paste with ginger, turmeric, cumin & red chili powder. Now add the masala paste into the pan and add some salt and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the soaked rice into the pan and fry everything for 1 minutes. Add some sugar, fried fish head & 1/2 cup warm water to the pan, cover it & cook everything for 3 minutes on low heat.
- Open the lid after 3 minutes, higher the heat stir the curry and evaporate the excess water. The curry should not be too dry or too wet.
- Turn of the heat, pour some extra ghee on the curry and serve hot.
If you like the recipe, please go to my Facebook page & hit the like button.
Serving TipsServe with steamed rice.
NotesDon't be mean with the ghee, use the mentioned amount.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.49/5
No of likes - 336