Shahi recipes belong to Mughlai Cuisine, where meat, poultry even vegetables are cooked in rich creamy gravy. The gravy should be rich with cashew, melon seeds, boiled or raw onion, ginger, garlic and many other ingredients. But today I'm going to share the recipe of 'Shahi Gobi' without onion & garlic.
No Onion No Garlic Shahi Gobi/Gobhi Masala
Shahi recipes belong to Mughlai Cuisine, where meat, poultry even vegetables are cooked in rich creamy gravy. The gravy should be rich with cashew, melon seeds, boiled or raw onion, ginger, garlic and many other ingredients. But today I'm going to share the recipe of 'Shahi Gobi' without onion & garlic. Now a days Onion becomes too costly in India. Almost Rs. 80/kg. So I decided to post some less onion and onion free recipes which will help the people to enjoy Indian curries without costly onions. Here is the recipe.....
Ingredients of Shahi Gobi
- Gobi Or Cauliflower 1 medium size, cut the flowers into medium size pieces
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil 2 tablespoons
- Ghee 1 teaspoon (optional, if you want your curry vegan, do not add ghee)
- Bay leaf 2 medium
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 2
- Green cardamom pods 1
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Kasuri Methi 2 teaspoon
Shahi Masala Paste :
- Ginger 1/2" long piece
- Green chili 2 Or adjust to taste
- Cashew nuts 10 broken pieces
- Melon seed Or mogoj seeds 1 tablespoon
- Poppy seeds 1 tablespoon
- Coconut, grated 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
How to make Shahi Gobi Recipe
- Take a large pan, boil water with some salt in it. When the water will start boiling add the cauliflower flowers, turn off the hit and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, strain the cauliflower and marinate with some salt & turmeirc.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a non stick pan and fry the gobi till golden brown and keep aside.
- Add some more oil if there is no oil left in the pan, add the ghee too.
- In the meantime make the 'Shahi Masala Paste' with all the ingredients mentioned under the heading 'Shahi Masala Paste' & some water in a small spice grinder.
- When the oil & ghee is hot, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods & cumin seeds. Be careful, the whole spices should not get burnt.
- Now add the 'Shahi Masala Paste' into the pan and keep stirring. Sprinkle some water if needed. Add salt & sugar and stir till oil oozes from the masala.
- Add the fried cauliflower and stir well. Now add 11/2 cup water to the pan and cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- After 10 mintues open the pan and higher the heat. Check & sdjust salt & sugar. Sprinkle Kasuri Methi and cover it.
- Serve with rotis or paratha......
- If you like this recipe, please go to my Facebook Page & hit the like button to get regular updates.