Bengali Style Baby Goat Curry Or Kochi Panthar Jhol
In this curry I've added all freshly ground spices with very less oil. And this curry should be cooked in a pan only, pressure cook will not bring the exact taste.
Ingredients of Kochi Panthar Jhol
- Baby Goat Or Lamb Meat 500gm Or 1 1/2 lbs (front leg/raan meat)
- Raw Papaya 1/2 cup grated
- Plain Curd 100 gm/3 tablespoons
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
For The Ground Spices Or Bata Moshla :
- Tomato 1 medium size, chopped
- Ginger 1" long piece
- Garlic 7 to 8 cloves
- Cumin Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Seeds 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Whole Red Chili 2
- Green Chili 1
- Cinnamon Stick/Dalchini1" long piece
- Cloves/Lobongo 2
- Green Cardamom Pods/Choto Elach 1
- Mace/Javetry 1 Petal
- Nutmeg/Jaifal 1 tiny piece
- Black Peppercorn 4
Other Ingredintes :
- Mustard Oil 2 tablespoons
- Bay Leaf 1 large
- Methi Seeds 1/2 seeds
- Salt & Sugar to taste
- Potato 2 medium size, peeled and halved
- Onion 3 medium size chopped
You may also like
How to make Kochi Panthar Jhol Recipe
- Take the meat, wash under tap water and put on a strainer for 30 minutes.
- Now take a bowl, place the meat in it, marinate the meat with Raw Papaya, Turmeric and Curd, keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Take a grinder, put all the ingredients, under the heading of "For The Ground Spices" into a blender and ground to make smooth paste. If you want, may add 1 tablespoon water while blending.
- Now add the paste to the Mutton and marinate everything well. Keep the marinated mutton aside for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, heat the oil in a pan, where you will cook the meat. Add the potatoes, fry till golden brown, take them out and keep aside.
- Now in the same oil add Bay leaf & Methi seeds and the chopped onion. Add some salt and sugar and fry the onion till nice golden in color.
- Add the marinated Mutton into the pan and cover the pan, lower the heat and leave it for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes open the lid, you will see lots of water will come from the meat.
- Now higher the heat and evaporate all the water, keep stirring. Oil will start oozing from the side. Keep stirring, this is called 'Koshano' in Bengali.
- Now in another pan, warm 2 cups of water in it. Add the warmed water, fried potatoes to the pan and cover it, lower the heat and cook till meat will be soft and tender.
- It will take 20 minutes, as this is red meat. When the meat will be soft and tender, adjust salt and turn off the heat.
If you like the recipe, please go to my Facebook Page & hit the like button for get regular updates.
Serving TipsServe with Steamed Rice & Cucumber salad.
NotesIf you are trying our recipes, please send us your feedback with pictures, leave your comments by mailing us or inbox us in our Facebook page. We'll publish them in our site.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.67/5
No of likes - 46