Bengali Spicy Chicken Curry
For marinating :
For marinating :
- First clean and wash the chicken under tap water and pat dry with a paper towel. Take a pan and dry roast the Red Chili, Green Chili, Fenugreek seeds, Cumin & Coriander seeds till nice aroma comes out. Let it cool down completely. Now take them into a grinder along with ginger, curd & turmeric powder and make a smooth paste.
- Marinate the chicken with the paste you make just now and 2tablespoons of oil and keep in the refrigerator for whole night or at least 4hours.
- Next morning remove the chicken 30 minutes before cooking. In this 30 minutes arrange everything you need for cooking.
- Take a non-stick pan, heat the oil, temper the oil with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, fenugreek seeds and crushed garlic cloves and stir for a while till nice aroma comes out. Now add the sliced onion and some salt and fry till the onion becomes nice golden in colour. Add onion paste and fry for couple of minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan and mix with the fried onion very well. Cover the pan, lower the heat and leave it for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes open the pan and will see lots of water comes from the chicken.
- Again put the lid and cook the chicken with its own juice. It will take about 10 more minutes. If needed may add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water to it.
- After 10 minutes the chicken will be cooked, now higher the heat and evaporate the excess water and keep stirring till oil oozes out of the gravy. Now make 1/2 cup of warm water and add it to the pan to make little gravy. After adding water cover again and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and keep it as it is for 10 minutes as standing time before serve.
- Serve with hot puri/luchi/paratha/phulka and cucumber salad.
- You make replace the chicken with mutton. You just have to add some water at the end and pressure cook the mutton up to 5 to 6 whistles.