Hyderabadi Or Telengana Chicken Curry
Hyderabadi cuisine is a combination of Mughlai & spicy taste of food. As Mughal Em-priers extended their dynasty in Andha Pradesh, their culture & food also comes with them. And South Indian food is always rice in spices like Whole red chilis, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves so the combination becomes great when it marges with Mughlai cuisine.
Ingredients of Hyderabadi Chicken
For marinating chicken :
- Chicken bone-in pieces 500gm, medium pieces, washed and pat dry
- Marinate paste 4 tablespoons
- Mustard oil 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Curd 2 tablespoons
For Mrinate paste :
- Onion 1 medium
- Ginger 1" long piece
- Garlic cloves 5
- Whole red chili 4 to 5
- Whole kashmiri red chili 1
- Whole cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Whole coriander seeds 1 teaspoon
- Tomato 1, medium sidez chopped
- Dried coconut 1/2 cup chopped
- Poppy seeds 2 tablespoons
- Cashew nuts 10 broken pieces
For Garam Masala Powder :
- Cinnamon stick 1, small
- Green cardamom pods 3
- Cloves 4
- Black pepper corns 4 to 5
Other Ingredients :
- Mustard oil 4 tablespoons
- Curry leaves 10 leaves
- Onion 2 sliced
- Salt to taste
- Warm water 1/2 cup
You may also like
How to make Hyderabadi Chicken Recipe
- Take a grinder and add all the ingredients under the heading of "Marinate paste", and grind to make a smooth paste.
- Take the whole Garam masala in pan and dry roast till nice aroma comes from them. Let them cool down and once cool down completely dry grind to make coarse powder.
- Take a large bowl, add curd, 4 tablespoons of the Marinate paste, 2 tablespoons of Mustard oil, turmeric and mix well using your hand. Now add the chicken pieces into the bowl and apply the marination all over the chicken pieces very well. Rub the meat with the marination. Now put the marinated chicken in an airtight container and keep inside the refrigerator for over night or at least 2 hours.
- Next morning remove the chicken and keep aside for cooking.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large pan, add curry leaves in the oil, and sliced onion, sprinkle some salt and fry till the onion becomes soft and light golden in color.
- Now add the rest of the Marinate paste into the pan and keep stirring by sprinkling little water. Oil will start oozing now. Add the marinated chicken pieces along with the marinate paste to the pan and mix with the onion & masala of the pan. Now put a lid over the pan, simmer the gas and leave the chicken cook for at least for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes open the lid, you will see lots f water has come out from the chicken and the chicken has almost cooked with it's own water. Higher the gas and start evaporating the excess water. Keep stirring to prevent from burning at the bottom. When all the water will be dried and oil starts separating from the wall of pan, add the water water and salt to taste.
- Cover again and simmer the gas for another 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove the lid and turn off the gas. Sprinkle the "Garam Masala" powder on the top. Give the curry a standing time of 10 minutes before serving.
Serving TipsServe with pickled onion & parathas or phulkas.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.5/5
No of likes - 124