Coconut chutney is a south indian spicy side dish.This is a spicy variety of coconut stew which can be in two forms, solid and liquid.
Easy South Indian Style Coconut Chutney For Idli/Dosa
Coconut chutney is a south indian spicy side dish.This is a spicy variety of coconut stew which can be in two forms, solid and liquid. This chutney is served with idli, dosai,vadas or even with cooked rice. You may also use this chutney with delicious Rava Dosa .
Ingredients of Coconut Chutney
- Grated coconut 1 cup
- Grated Ginger 1 tablespoon
- Green chilies 2 or as per your taste
- Roasted chana dal ( I bought it from store, you may roast it yourself)1 tablespoon
- Salt as per taste
- 2 whole Red Chilies
- Curry leaves 1 spring or 7-8 leaves (I like more curry leaves in my chutney)
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Hing or asafoiteda 1/4 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil 2 tablespoons
How to make Coconut Chutney Recipe
- Take grated coconut, ginger, green chili, roasted chana dal, salt and 2-3 tablespoons of water together in small spice grinder and grind to make a fine paste. (If you want to use coconut powder instead of grated coconut, then use warm water to make the paste. )
- If you are not using store bought roasted chana ,you can prepare it yourself also. Take tablespoon of chana dal, wash and soak in some water for 30 minutes. Now rinse them and spread them on a paper towel so that paper towel soaks the water till the chana dal becomes dry.
- Now heat a non stick pan and dry roast the dal for 5 10 minutes. Now take a small pan for seasoning the spices and heat the vegetable oil in it.
- When the oil is hot enough, simmer the heat and add one by one, whole chilies, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and hing, and cook till they splatter.
- Wait for 5 10 seconds and the seasoned spices are prepared. Now pour the seasoned over the chutney.
- Before serving just mix the chutney and serve.