Bengali Style Moong aka Muger Dal Recipe
Bhaja Mooger Dal is a one of the famous Dal recipe, which is usually cooked in any special occasions like guests are coming over or birthday or marriage function.The moong dal is roasted till it turns deep golden and gives a nutty aroma. After that it is boiled and tempered with spices .
Ingredients of Bhaja Mooger/Muger Dal
- Mung daal 1/2 cup
- Vegetable Oil 1 tablespoon
- Desi Ghee Or clarified butter 1 tablespoon
- Chopped Coconut 1/2 cup(optional)
- Broken Cashew 1/3 cup(optional)
- Golden Raisns 1/3 cup(optional)
- Green Peas 1/3 cup(optional)
- Grated ginger 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seed 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 2/3
- Green Cardamom pods 2
- Bay Leaves 1
- Whole red chili 2
- Salt As per taste
- Sugar As per taste
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
You may also like
How to make Bhaja Mooger/Muger Dal Recipe
- Heat a pan and roast the mung dal till light brown and wash the roasted dal under cold water and boil the dal till the daal becomes soft and keep aside.
- Take a pan and heat oil & ghee in it , fry chopped coconut, cashew & golden raisins and keep aside.
- If you want your dal to be simple and regular type, don't add chopped coconut, cashew, raisins and peas. Just skip this step.
- Now in the remaining oil and ghee add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and bay leaf and fry till fragrance comes from the whole spices.
- Now add the cumin and red chili and fry for 1 minute. Now add the grated ginger, turmeric, salt & sugar and fry for another 1 and 1/2 minutes.
- After 1 and 1/2 minutes of frying them add the boiled dal and bring the dal to a nice boil for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes off the stove and place the dal in a bowl and sprinkle some garam masala and ghee on the top of the cooked dal.
- Another easy version of this dal. Take the roasted dal, turmeric powder, salt, cinamon, clove, cardamom, grated ginger all together in a pressure cooker. Add 1 1/3 cup water to the cooker and pressure cook upto 2-3 whistles.
- Turn off the heat and let the cooker release the pressure itself. When all the pressure will be released, open the cooker. Now heat oil & ghee in a pan, fry chopped coconut, cashew & golden raisins. In the same pan add bay leaf , chili & cumin seeds. Fry for a while, do not burn.
- Add the boiled dal & some sugar. Let the dal boil for 10 minutes on low flame. After 10 minutes turn off heat and serve with steamed rice.
If you like the recipe, please go to my Facebook Page and hit the like button for regular updates.
Serving TipsServe it with White Rice and Fried Eggplant and Papad.
NotesMung Dal sometimes creats acidity. If it is lightly roasted, it will never make any Acidity.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.62/5
No of likes - 3827