Sweet Boondi Or Bengali Bonde
This sweet actually looks like drops Or Boond in Hindi. That is why it is called Boondi. Boondi is made with Bengali gram batter or Chikpea batter. Bengali occasional breakfast is incomplete without "Bonde & Luchi"/"Boondi & Puri".
Ingredients of Boondi
For the Batter :
- Gram flour or Besan 1 cup
- Water 1/2 cup (adjust to make the smooth batter)
- Green cardamom pods (ilaichi) 5 to 6 crashed
- Yellow, Orange food color 2 to 3 drops if you like ( totally optional)
**For syrup : **
- Sugar 1 1/2 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Rose water 2 to 4 tablespoons
You may also like
How to make Boondi Recipe
Making the Sugar Syrup :
- Put the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- When the syrup comes to a boil, turn the heat down to medium and stir to dissolve the sugar. Let it simmer until the syrup is about half thread consistency .
- Add rose water to the syrup and cover it.
Making the Bonde :
- Now take a bowl and mix the gram flour with water to make a smooth pancake-like batter or slightly thicker than dosa batter.
- Now take 2 tablespoons of batter out of the whole batter and put in another small bowl and mix 2 drops of green food color to it and keep aside.
- Now take another 2 tablespoons of batter from the whole mixture and add 2 drops of orange food color to it and keep aside.
- Finally add 2-3 drops of yellow food color to the main mixture and keep aside. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.
- The frying pan should have at least 1 1/2 inches of oil. Now test if the oil is at the right temperature, drop a pinch of batter into the oil; if it rises immediately without changing color then the oil is ready.
- Now take a perforated ladle for making this, and pour some yellow batter onto it and shake the perforated ladle to drop the batter fast into the hot oil.
- Now fry them and take them out from the oil with another perforated ladle and immediately soak into the sugar syrup.
- Repeat the process for the the remaining batter. While repeating , wipe out the excess batter from the top and back of the ladle used for making boondi.
- This will help in getting round shape. When the yellow batter's boondi are done fry the orange colored separately and soak into the syrup together.
Serving TipsServe hot with Luchi Or Bengali Puri
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.58/5
No of likes - 323