Kolkata Style Mutton Or Goat Biryani RecipeBiryani is a rice based dish, with lots of spices, basmati rice and Chicken/Mutton/Beef/Lamb/Fish/Egg/Vegetables. Biryani was believed to have been invented in the kitchen of the Muslim Mughal Emperors. It is very popular in South Asia and is a key element of the South Asian cuisine. Hyderabad, Malabar, Delhi, Agra, Dhaka, Kashmir, Kolkata, Lucknow and Lahore, are the main centres of biryani cuisine. Kolkata has a special and totally diffrent style of biryani. This biryani is inspired with lakhnow style. The speciallity of Kolkata biryani is Potato and Egg are also served in basic Mutton or Chicken biryani. In addition, Calcutta biryani is much lighter on spices than compared to other biryani's. It primarily uses nutmeg, cinnamon, mace along with cloves and cardamom in the yoghurt based marinade for the meat which is cooked separately from rice. This combination of spices gives it a distinct flavour as compared to other styles of biryani. The rice is flavoured with Keoda water & Rose water along with saffron to give it flavour and light yellowish color. There are many restaurants in Kolkata where they have theri own authenticity in biryani. Here I am sharing the Mutton Biryani recipe with you. Must try this once and you will never forget the taste.
Kolkata has a special and totally different style of biryani. The specialty of Kolkata biryani is Potato and Egg are also served in basic Mutton or Chicken biryani. In addition, Calcutta biryani is much lighter on spices than compared to other biryani's. The rice is flavored with Kewda water & Rose water along with saffron to give it flavor and light yellowish color.
Steps to Prepare
Cooking The Meat :
- Marinate the Mutton with all the ingredients except Mustard oil, written under the heading for Meat and keep refrigerated for over night or 8 hours.
- Now take a pan and heat oil and fry the potato and keep aside. Now pour the marinated meat into the pan and cover it for 15 minutes.
- Open the lid, and there will be lots of water which came out from the meat. Higher the oven and evaporate all the water and stir fry the meat with the fried potatoes till oil oozes from the meat.
- Now turn off the oven and take the potatoes out from the meat and keep aside.
- Take a pressure cooker and pour all the Meat along with the gravy into the cooker and add 1 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook up to 2-3 whistle.
- Turn off the heat and leave the cooker for 15-20 minutes. After the certain time open the cooker and again place on oven to evaporate the excess water of the meat.
- Make the mutton dry and keep aside for later use.
Preparing The Rice :
- Take pan and boil 4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of oil, some salt and Cinnamon stick, Cloves, Cardamom pods, Black Cardamom pods, Cubeb.
- When the wter will start boiling add the soaked rice and cook till the rice is 70% done. Take a big Pasta Strainer and strain the rice.
- Now take large pan and brush some butter inside it. Spread half of the rice into the pan. Layer the cooked meat and potato & some Khoya or Mawa, and spread rest of the rice on the top of the meat. On the last layer of rice sprinkle some Garam Masala powder, Rose water, Kewda water, Saffron soaked water (you can make a paste of the saffron water) , Fried Onion & Ghee and cover the pan with lid and seal it with atta dough.
- Now take a large flat pan with water , place on the oven and place the biryani pan on the flat pan , turn on the oven on medium and cook the biryani on lower medium heat for 30-40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes turn off the oven but do not cut the seal. Before serving cut the seal and serve hot, yummy Kolkata Style Mutton Biryani.