Plain Moong Dal Cheela/Chilla Recipe
Cheela is a crepe-like bread unique to Telugu cuisine that is similar to dosa. It is made with batter of green gram (moong dal), but unlike a dosa, it does not contain urad dal.
Ingredients of Moong Dal Cheela
- Moong Dal 1 cup, washed & soaked in water for 1 hour
- Onion 1/2 cup chopped
- Ginger 1 tablespoon grated
- Green chilies 2 to 3(adjust to your taste)
- Hing 1 pinch
- Cilantro 1 cup chopped
- Turmeric powder 1/3 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
You may also like
How to make Moong Dal Cheela Recipe
- Grind the soaked Moong Dal with about 1/4 cup of water in a grounder to make a smooth batter (thicker than a pancake batter).
- Pour batter into a bowl and add onion, Chopped Chili, fresh cilantro and ginger, Salt, Turmeric, Hing. Whisk them all together. Lightly coat a heavy bottomed pan or nonstick tawa with oil.
- Drop a ladleful of batter in the center of the pan and spread the batter with a spatula all over the pan or tawa. Sprinkle some oil at edeges of the Cheela to loosen the edges easily.
- Cook each side till golden brown for at least 2 minutes, turning side by side. When both sides will looks good, fold the cheela and put onto plate.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the Cheelas. Serve them with Chatni or Dal.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 5/5
No of likes - 1