Dal Makhni/Makhani Or Kali Dal Or Makhni Dal
Dal Makhni/Makhani is a very popular & traditional Punjabi dish. This is a very much different version of Dal from the other Punjabi Dal
Ingredients of Dal Makhani
- Whole Urad Dal with skin (find in an Indian grocery store) 1 cup
- Handful of Chana Dal
- Onion 1 small or 1/2 medium size
- Ginger 1" long piece
- Garlic 5 to 7 pods
- large Tomatoes boiled & pureed 2
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
- Whole jeera/cumin 1 tablespoon
- Kasuri methi 2 tablespoons
- Green Cardamom pods 3-4
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 4-5
- Bay leaf 1 large
- Unsalted butter 1 stick
- Vegetable oil 3 tablespoons
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Cream 1/2 cup
- Chopped Coriander leaves for garnishing
You may also like
How to make Dal Makhani Recipe
- Take a bowl and add the Black Urad Dal and soaked in water for 8-10hrs or overnight & then boil along with the Chana Dal for 30-45 minutes.
- In the meantime make a smooth paste of 'Onion, ginger & garlic' without adding any water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add Cinnamon Stick, Cardamom Pods, Cloves, Bay Leaf & Whole cumin seeds and saute till the fragrance comes.
- Add "Onion, Ginger, Garlic paste" Turmeric powder and fry till oil oozes from the them and then add the tomato puree.
- Cook the masala till the tomatoes are well cooked. When the puree comes to a boil add Chili Powder , Coriander Powder, Salt. Cover it with a lid & let it cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- After 10 minutes open the lid & add the butter. Now add the water of boiled dal and cook it for few more mins before add the dal.
- After few minutes add the boiled dal and cover it and let it cook for 30mins on low.
- But stirring every 2 minutes to avoid burn at the bottom.
- After 30 minutes add kasuri methi and 1/2 cup cream and boil for 5 minutes & serve.
Serving TipsServe with Jeera Rice Or Naan, Or Tandoori Roti & onion slices on the side.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.78/5
No of likes - 46