This drink common in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan - mostly in Peshawar. It is native to India and is often associated with the Maha Shivaratri and Holi festival.
Indian Color Festival-Holi Special Drink Thandai
Thandai, most commonly known as "Sardai", is a cold drink prepared with a mixture of almonds, fennel seeds, magaztari seeds (watermelon kernel), rose petals, pepper, vetiver seeds, cardamom, saffron, milk and sugar. This drink common in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan - mostly in Peshawar. It is native to India and is often associated with the Maha Shivaratri and Holi festival---Source wikipedia
Ingredients of Thandai
- Full fat Milk 2 cups
- Young Coconut Water 1 cup
- Powdered Sugar 4 tablespoons
- Whole Black Pepper 4 to 5
- Saffron strands 10 to 12
For Grinding :
- Fennel seeds 1 teaspoon
- Poppy seeds 1 teaspoon
- Cashew 10 pieces
- Almonds 10 pieces
- Pista 5 pieces
- White pepper powder 1/4 teapoon
- Green cardamom pods 2
How to make Thandai Recipe
- Take the all ingredients "For Grinding" in a dry spice grinder and ground them dry to make fine powder and keep aside.
- Take a large bowl, add milk and coconut water into the bowl and mix well.
- Now add the ground powder into milk & coconut water mixture, mix altogether well, cover the bowl and keep inside the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator after 2-3 hours, add powdered sugar and mix again well.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve, add peppercorns and saffron and mix well.
- Serve chilled.