Doi Ilish is a typical Bengali Hilsa Recipe, where raw Hilsa fish is steamed in Yogurt and Mustured Sauce. Doi Ilish should be served with Steamed rice.
Doi Bhapa Ilish Or Yogurt Steamed Hilsa
Ilish also spelled Elish, is a popular fish to eat among the people of South Asia. A tropical fish, it is the most popular fish with Bengalis , the national fish of Bangladesh and extremely popular in parts of India such as West Bengal, Odisha, Tripura, Assam and Southern Gujarat. Ilish also can be found in India's Assamese-, Bengali-, Oriya- and Telugu-speaking region. In Bengal, there are many dishes are made using Hilsa. Hilsa itself is a cuisine. This fish has a wonderful flavor in it, so no need to add lots of spices to cook it. Bengali cook lots of dishes with this fish like Jhol, Jhal, Stew, Polao, Biryani, Chutney even only fried Hilsa is very arometic dish too. Today I am going to share a very popular dish of Hilsa is "Doi Ilish", that is mean Hilsa cooked with mustard & yogurt. Here is the recipe..........
Ingredients of Doi Ilish
- Ilish/Hilsa Or Shad fish 10 pieces
- Salt 1 tablespoon + as per taste
- Turmeric 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Whole Milk Sour Curd Or Yogurt 1 cup, well beaten with little water, salt & sugar
- White Mustard Seeds/Rai 2 tablespoons
- Green chilis 3 to 4, or as per taste
How to make Doi Ilish Recipe
- First take the fish, wash with little water (Hilsa should not wash thoroughly, its taste will go by washing). Marinate the fish pieces with salt and 1 tablespoon turmeric powder and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime grind the White mustard seeds with little salt & 2 green chills to a fine paste by adding 1-2 tablespoons of water along with it. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the mustard seed paste, mix it and add it to the pan.
- As you have already added salt in curd & mustard paste, you should not need to add anymore. But if you like to add, you may add as per your taste.
- Take the marinated Ilish, in a non-stick pan, add the musatrd paste, beaten yogurt, little turmeric, slit chilis and 1/2 cup water and marinate all together very gentely. Sprinkle the mustard oil on the marination. Adjust the salt to taste.
- Now cover the pan with a lid. Put the pan on low heat for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off the heat, open the lid and serve "Doi Ilish" with Steamy hot plain Rice.......
- If you like this recipe, please go to my Facebook Page & hit the like button for regular updates.