Doi Bhapa Ilish Or Yogurt Steamed Hilsa
Doi Ilish is a typical Bengali Hilsa Recipe, where raw Hilsa fish is steamed in Yogurt and Mustured Sauce. Doi Ilish should be served with Steamed rice.
Ingredients of Doi Ilish
- Ilish/Hilsa Or Shad fish 10 pieces
- Salt 1 tablespoon + as per taste
- Turmeric 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Whole Milk Sour Curd Or Yogurt 1 cup, well beaten with little water, salt & sugar
- White Mustard Seeds/Rai 2 tablespoons
- Green chilis 3 to 4, or as per taste
How to make Doi Ilish Recipe
- First take the fish, wash with little water (Hilsa should not wash thoroughly, its taste will go by washing). Marinate the fish pieces with salt and 1 tablespoon turmeric powder and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime grind the White mustard seeds with little salt & 2 green chills to a fine paste by adding 1-2 tablespoons of water along with it. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the mustard seed paste, mix it and add it to the pan.
- As you have already added salt in curd & mustard paste, you should not need to add anymore. But if you like to add, you may add as per your taste.
- Take the marinated Ilish, in a non-stick pan, add the musatrd paste, beaten yogurt, little turmeric, slit chilis and 1/2 cup water and marinate all together very gentely. Sprinkle the mustard oil on the marination. Adjust the salt to taste.
- Now cover the pan with a lid. Put the pan on low heat for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off the heat, open the lid and serve "Doi Ilish" with Steamy hot plain Rice.......
- If you like this recipe, please go to my Facebook Page & hit the like button for regular updates.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.46/5
No of likes - 786