Bengali Style Prawn Curry With Pumpkin & Pointed Gourd
Prawn is a versatile protein, which can be used in any dish. The flavor of prawn can change a dish miraculously. If you're a seafood lover and you are not allergenic of seafood, you must be a prawn lover. This protein can be cooked itself with spices or can go with any vegetables or rice. And as you guys know "Bengalis" are fond of fish, obviously, they love prawn too. And please don't ask me about my prawn love. Today I'm going to share an authentic Bengali Prawn recipe, rather I say Shrimp(smaller prawns are called shrimp) recipe which is onion & garlic free, a comfort food, can be served with Plain Steamed Rice Or Roti/Fulka. This curry is cooked with 'Pumpkin, Pointed Gourd, Potatoes & Shrimps'. And I bet you're going to love this simple curry. Here is the recipe.
Today I'm going to share an authentic Bengali Prawn recipe, rather I say Shrimp(smaller prawns are called shrimp) recipe which is onion & garlic free, a comfort food, can be served with Plain Steamed Rice Or Roti/Fulka. This curry is cooked with 'Pumpkin, Pointed Gourd, Potatoes & Shrimps'.
Ingredients of Potol Kumro Die Chingrir Dalna
- Prawns/Shrimps 10 to 12 pieces
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon
- Pumpkin 2 cups, peeled & diced
- Pointed Gourd Or Parwal Or Potol 5, peeld & halved
- Potato 2 medium size, peeled & diced
- Tomato 2 medium, chopped
- Ginger paste 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder as per taste
- Salt & Sugar as per taste
For Temepring :
- Ghee 2 tablespoons
- Bay leaf 1 large
- Cumin Seed 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cloves 2
- Green cardamom pods 1
You may also like
How to make Potol Kumro Die Chingrir Dalna Recipe
- Take the shrimps, clean, devine them and keep aside. Marinate them with salt & turmeric. Heat oil in a pan, lightly fry the shrimps/prawns and keep aside.
- In the same oil add potato, pumpkin, pointed gourd and fry till they look nicely fried. Take them out of the pan and keep aside too.
- Add rest of the oil, and let the oil to be smokey. Add tomatoes, some salt and cover the pan to make the tomatoes soft & pulpy.
- In the meantime make a paste in a small bowl, with ginger, turmeric, cumin powder, red chili powder and little water.
- Open the lid and check if the tomatoes became pulpy or not, if yes, add the masala paste into the pan and fry till oil separates from the masala. When they will start separating oil, add the fried vegetables into the pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes of frying add 1 cup water into the pan, add the fried shrimps/prawns and cover the pan to cook the vegetables. It will take 10-15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes if the vegetables are cooked enough. Check salt & sugar, add if needed.
- the bay leaf, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves & cardamom pods and fry till a nice fragrance comes.
- When a nice fragrance comes from the whole spices, add the earlier made curry into the pan. Let it boil for 2 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Serve with Steamed Rice Or Roti.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.57/5
No of likes - 128