Kosha Khasir Mangsho Or Bengali Dry Mutton CurryKosha mangsho is a famous Bengali dry type mutton curry which is made in almost every Bengali's special occasion like Marriage, birthday, annaprason or for the guests. In every family there is a unique recipe of Kosha Mangsho. And I must mention that, this dry type mutton must be cooked with Reyaji Khasir mangsho, that contains lots of fat with the meat. This fat shouldn't be trimmed, it'll increase the taste of the dish. My father used to get this special type of Khasir mangsho from Hatibagan Barily meat shopevery Sunday early morning, because this shop is very famous for their good quality meat and there would a huge queue for the best part of the Goat. And as per my view, my Mom makes the best Kosha Mangsho I've ever tasted. Because she used to marinate the meat day before she cooks it. Today I'm going to share her recipe of Kosha mangsho.
Steps to Prepare
- First take the meat, clean carefully and wash under tap water, put into a large strainer to drain excess water.
- In the meantime take all the ingredients under the heading of 'spice paste' in a small grinder and make a smooth paste. Now take a large bowl, add the curd, spice paste, mustard oil and mix well, add the meat and marinate very well by rubbing all over the meat with the marination. Cover the bowl and put into the refrigerator for overnight or at least 4hours.
- After the certain time take the marinated meat out of the refrigerator and keep aside for cooking.
- For cooking the meat, take a iron kadai, heat 1/2 cup oil, temper the oil with bay leaf. Now add sliced onion and little sugar, fry the onion till golden brown. Now pour the marinated meat and salt in the kadai, stir well with a iron spatula for a minute, and cover the kadai with a large lid, simmer the gas oven to slow cook the meat for 5minutes.
- After 5minutes open the lid and you will see lots of water came out from the meat. Now higher the gas oven and dry the excess water. When all the water will be evaporated, you've to start stirring the meat with the iron spatula for at least 5minutes, this is called 'Koshano' in Bengali. How much time you will do it, the meat will be tasty on that.
- after 5minutes of continuous stirring, put all the meat in a pressure cooker for further cooking.
- Add 2 cups of boiled water into the cooker and cook covered up to 5 to 6 whistles. I like my meat very much soft, just melt in my mouth. So I cook up to 5 to 6 whistles, you can give less if you don't want the very soft meat.
- Let the cooker release pressure itself. When the pressure will be released, open the cooker and again put the cooker on gas top to dry the gravy. Boil the gravy till excess water is evaporated and the masala wrapped around the meat.
- Turn off the gas oven and serve the hot "Kosha Mangsho" with Roti/chapati/porota/polao and enjoy...