The main eye catcher of this thali is Kurmto Phuler bowra, so I've named this thali after this item.
- This thali contains :
- Kumro Phuler bowra
- Mochar ghonto
- Bhaja mooger dal
- Chingri chichinger torkari
- Katla macher jhal
Usually in Bengali household, we have a full course meal for alsmot daily basis. There should be a bitter starter, a dal, some fries, a vegetable curry, 1 or 2 types of fish items & chutney. But sometimes the starter and the dessert part could be missing for unavailablity of ingredients. But the middle part still remains the same. ☺
One of the basic thalis of bengali
Shrimp or kucho chingri deshelled and devined, marinated with salt & turmeric
Mustard oil 2 tablespoons
Panch foron 1/2 teaspoon
Green chili 2
Snack gourd or chichinge 2 medium size, or a 5ft long one, peeled and chopped
Onion 2 medium, finely chopped
Potato 2 medium, peeled & chopped
turmeric 1/3 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste(optional)
Red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
Steps to prepare
- Take a pan, heat oil and fry the shrimp lightly, otherwise the shrimp can be chewy. Take them out and place in a bowl.
- In the same oil, add panch foron & chili and fry for few seconds. Add chopped snake gourd, onion & potato into the pan, add salt, turmeric & mix everything together.
- Add red chili powder and little water and cover the pan with a lid, simmer the heat and let the veggies to cook for at least 5 to 8 minutes. After 5 minutes check if the vegetables are cooked or not, if not let it be for another 2,3 minutes, may sprinkle some water if needed.
- After 3 minutes open the lid, add the fried the shrimp & sugar and higher the heat. Let's evaporate the excess water if any. Now start stir frying the veggies till a nice fried smell comes out from the dish. Check for salt, add if required. Turn off the heat and serve with dal.