Bengali Jeelipi Or Jalebi Recipe
Jalebi or Jeelipi is a very popular Indian sweet. It can be served cold or hot. It is made by deep frying a batter in pretzel or circular shape and soaked into sugar syrup. This sweet considers as a "Celebration Sweet" in India. Here it is considered as a famous "Ratha-Yatra" special sweet.
Steps to Prepare
- Soak the daal and rice separately in water for 5/6hrs. Grind the rice and daal separately (remember do not warm the daal or rice while grinding them. Turn off the Grinder in every 1 minute to keep the grinder cool), then mix into a large bowl and add fennel with it. Then again keep it for 5/6 hrs.
- After 5/6 hours beat the batter very well for 5-10 minutes with hand.
- To make the syrup heat 2 cups of water in a pan and add sugar and bring to a nice boil to make syrup . Make a thick syrup. Add rose water and cardamom powder to it.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add 2 tablespoons of ghee. Now fill the Jeelipi batter into a piping bag with a number 3 nozzle. You can also use an empty ketchup bottle.
- Squeeze the Jeelipi batter out in the hot oil in a pretzel shape to about 2 inches in diameter. Fry the jeelipi(s) till golden brown on both sides.
- Once fried then soak the jeelipi(s) completely in sugar syrup for 20-30 seconds and serve hot.
- If you like the recipe, please go to my Facebook Page & hit the like button for more updates.