In Indian cuisine, a cutlet specifically refers to cooked meat (mutton, beef, fish or chicken) stuffing that is fried with a batter/covering. The meat itself is cooked with spices - onion, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander (cilantro), green chilies, lemon and salt.
Kolkata Style Chicken Cutlet Or Foul Cutlet
Our Grandfaters were always taking about this Foul cutlets. I was kid then. But I was very much curious about this name. I heard about Cutlet, but "Foul Cutlet"!!! What is this? But thanks to Bengali Novels. They told me the secret. It is nothing but Chicken Cutlet. Foul means Chicken. If you want to spent little much on evening snacks than the "Tele bhaja", Foul Cutlet is the best option. This type of spicy Chicken Cutlet is not available in any other states except Bengal. But we who are out of Bengal can not taste the original Kolkata Chicken Cutlet. So we compromise our taste with homemade Chicken Cutlets. In Indian cuisine, a cutlet specifically refers to cooked meat stuffing that is fried with a batter/covering. The meat itself is cooked with spices - onion, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander (cilantro), green chilies, lemon and salt.
Ingredients of Bengali Chicken Cutlet
- Chicken breast - 4
- 2 cups of onion+ginger+garlic juice
- Coriander leaves & green chili paste
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice 4 tablespoons
For the Batter :
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup maida & 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt to taste
- Plain bread crumbs 2cups
- Maida for dusting
- Oil for deep fry
How to make Bengali Chicken Cutlet Recipe
- Marinate chicken breasts with lemon juice and salt for 1 hour.
- Then add the onion,ginger,garlic juice, coriander leaves & green chili paste & garam masala powder to it and keep it for 4-5 hours.
- Make a batter of egg, baking powder, maida & corn flour and keep aside.
- Now take each chicken breasts dust some maida on it and dip in egg batter and then coat it
- with bread crumbs and place in a container and refrigerate the breaded chicken for 2-3 hours.
- After 2-3 hours remove the chicken cutlets and keep them in room temperature for 30mins.
- Now heat oil in a pan and fry the cutlets till golden brown. Remove cutlets in a paper towel and serve hot with kasundi or ketchup, sprinkled black salt on top.