Machher Jhol is liberally seasoned with turmeric, garlic, onions, and grated ginger. Potatoes are added to the stew as a thickening agent.
Easy Steps Of Rui Macher Jhol Or Bengali Rohu Fish Stew
Machher Jhol or Machha Jhola is a traditional Oriya and Bengali spicy fish stew. It is in the form of a very spicy stew that is served with rice. Machher Jhol is liberally seasoned with turmeric, garlic, onions, and grated ginger. Potatoes are added to the stew as a thickening agent. Tomatoes are also added to impart the dish with a reddish color which is preferred by the people of Bengal. This Machher Jhol is a part of almost every Bengali familys' lunch menu. So this should be a mild type curry with very less spices. This curry is good for helath.
Ingredients of Rui Macher Jhol
- Rohu -4 pieces
- Potato -2 medium cut into wedges
- Eggplants -1 cut into long pieces (optional)
- Onion -1 small, paste
- Ginger paste-1 teaspoon
- Tomato puree 1/2 cup or 1 medium tomato paste
- Turmeric -1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder -1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder -1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilies -4 to garnish
- Panch foron -1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Mastered oi -l 4 tablespoon
- Water -1 1/2 cup
- Garam Masala Powder 1/3 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves to garnish
How to make Rui Macher Jhol Recipe
- Clean the fish pieces and marinate with 1/2 of turmeric and salt. Then heat the oil in a kadai and fry fish pieces till golden brown.
- Now fry the eggplant & potato in the same oil.
- Now in the remaining oil add panch foron and onion and fry till soften. Now add ginger paste, tomato paste or tomato puree into the fried onion and again fry .
- Now add the potatoes and eggplant and fry. Then add cumin powder, red chili and turmeric powder and little water to it and stir.
- When oil separates add salt and fry for few minutes. Now add the fried fish and again fry it for 1 minute and after that add water and reduce the heat and let the gravy boil.
- When the potatoes have cooked remove the kadai from heat and garnish the gravy with garam masala powder,chopped coriander leaves and green chilies and serve with steamed rice.
- If you like the recipe, then go to my Facebook Page and like my page for regular updates.