Easy Steps Of Rui Macher Jhol Or Bengali Rohu Fish Stew
Bengali and Macher Jhol always compliments each other. When ever Non-Bengalis come to know that you're Bengali, the first sentencecomes to their mind is 'Oh So you're fish lover and your famous Macher Jhol'. Oh please, don't judge a Bengali only with Macher Jhol or Rosogolla or Rabindra Sangeet. Bengalis also have some other identity too. Anyway, so what I'm trying to say is, in almost every Bengali family, Macher Jhol takes the leading part in daily menu, either in lunch or dinner. Once daily it's must. And this typical fish curry or Macher Jhol must be light and runny curry, with minimum use of spices and sweet water carp fishes like Rohu/Katla/Mrigel/Kal boush/Tilapia are the first preference for this recipe. There are lots of recipes you can find for Bengali Macher Jhol, as every family has a secret heirloom recipe. This recipe belongs to my Amma(Father's Mother), she used to cook Rui Macher Jhol in this way and we used have a good amount of rice with this Rui Macher Jhol. On the other hand my Didu (mother's mother) used to cook Pona Kobiraji Jhol, which is lighter than this curry and very healthy too. And she used to cook that curry with 'Bata Moshla' (Homemade spices) only. The spices used to make the Kobiraji jhol tastier. You can find the Kobiraji jhol recipe in my YouTube Channel. Let's check for my Amma's 'Rui Macher Jhol' here...Machher Jhol or Machha Jhola is a traditional Oriya and Bengali spicy fish stew. It is in the form of a very spicy stew that is served with rice. Machher Jhol is liberally seasoned with turmeric, garlic, onions, and grated ginger. Potatoes are added to the stew as a thickening agent. Tomatoes are also added to impart the dish with a reddish color which is preferred by the people of Bengal. This Machher Jhol is a part of almost every Bengali familys' lunch menu. So this should be a mild type curry with very less spices. This curry is good for helath.
Machher Jhol is liberally seasoned with turmeric, garlic, onions, and grated ginger. Potatoes are added to the stew as a thickening agent. Tomatoes are also added to impart the dish with a reddish color which is preferred by the people of Bengal.
Ingredients of Rui Macher Jhol
- Rohu -4 pieces
- Potato -2 medium cut into wedges
- Eggplants -1 cut into long pieces (optional)
- Onion -1 small, paste
- Ginger paste-1 teaspoon
- Tomato puree 1/2 cup or 1 medium tomato paste
- Turmeric -1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder -1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder -1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilies -4 to garnish
- Panch foron -1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Mastered oi -l 4 tablespoon
- Water -1 1/2 cup
- Garam Masala Powder 1/3 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves to garnish
You may also like
How to make Rui Macher Jhol Recipe
- Clean the fish pieces and marinate with 1/2 of turmeric and salt. Then heat the oil in a kadai and fry fish pieces till golden brown.
- Now fry the eggplant & potato in the same oil.
- Now in the remaining oil add panch foron and onion and fry till soften. Now add ginger paste, tomato paste or tomato puree into the fried onion and again fry .
- Now add the potatoes and eggplant and fry. Then add cumin powder, red chili and turmeric powder and little water to it and stir.
- When oil separates add salt and fry for few minutes. Now add the fried fish and again fry it for 1 minute and after that add water and reduce the heat and let the gravy boil.
- When the potatoes have cooked remove the kadai from heat and garnish the gravy with garam masala powder,chopped coriander leaves and green chilies and serve with steamed rice.
- If you like the recipe, then go to my Facebook Page and like my page for regular updates.
Serving TipsServe with a piece of lime It will taste awesome.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.54/5
No of likes - 4499