This is my mom's special recipe. This recipe is so easy, that can be made by anyone.
Rui Ba Katla Macher Teljhol
Rui/Rohu is a very common fish in India. Almost in every Bengali lunch meal there must be Rui/Rohu fish. This fish has the most protein content. This fish is easy to digest delicious in taste. And most importantly, you can make any types of curry with Rohu/Rui or Katla fish. Today I'm going to share an authentic Bengali recipe of Rui/Rohu fish which can be made very easily, but tastes awesome. This is my mom's special recipe. This recipe is so easy, that can be made by anyone. So here is the recipe.
Ingredients of Rui Macher Teljhol
- Rui/Rohu Or Katla fish steaks 8
- Turmeric 1+1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to marinate
- Mustard Oil 1/2 cup
- Potato 2, peeled and cut into lenghtwise
- Kalonji/Nigella seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chili 3 or 4
- Tomato 1 large or 2 medium, chopped
- Red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Black Mustard Paste 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Cilantro for garnishing (optional)
How to make Rui Macher Teljhol Recipe
- Take the fish steaks, wash them under cold water, marinate with 1 teaspoon turmeric and some salt. Keep aside the fish for 30 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a pan, when the oil is Smokey hot, add the fish pieces one by one. 2/3 steaks at a time. Fry till the steaks are golden brown. Take them out of the pan and keep aside.
- In the same oil add the potatoes. Fry them from all the sides, take them out and keep aside too.
- Now in the remaining oil add kalonji & green chilies to the pan. When they will start splattering, add the chopped tomatoes and little salt, cover the pan to cook the tomatoes, till pulpy.
- In the meantime, take the mustard paste in a bowl, add 1 cup of water to the bowl and dilute the paste. Now strain the paste into another bowl, add salt to taste & turmeric, red chili powder & cumin powder.
- Open the pan and mash the tomatoes, add the mustard paste to the pan and let the gravy to boil. When it will start boiling, add the fried fish & potatoes. Cover the pan, and cook it on low heat till the potatoes are done.
- It will take 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, open the cover higher the heat, sprinkle chopped cilantro and turn off the heat. Check the salt, add if needed.
- Serve the "Rui Maher Teljhol" with "Hot Steamed Rice"...Enjoy
- If you like the recipe, then go to my Facebook Page and like my page for regular updates.