Sorshe Bhapa Ilish Or Steamed Hilsha In Mustard GravyHilsha Or Ilish is the most popular and tasty fish in Bengal. This fish is very aromatic itself. So we do not need much ingredient or a difficult recipe for this fish. Today I'm going to share a very popular but easy recipe named "Bhapa Ilish".
This recipe has been adopted from Bangladesh. In this recipe raw Ilish/Hilsha pieces are steamed in mustard and coconut paste along with turmeric, green chili, salt and mustard oil. This is an effortless cooking. Only marinate the fish and put into a non-stick pan and cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes. No need to stir or add something in between cooking. And here is the recipe...
Steps to Prepare
- Take the Hilsha fish pieces and marinate them with salt and turmeric and keep aside.
- Make a fine paste of mustard seeds along with some salt & few chilies with little water with it.
- Now take a bowl, put the mustard paste, scraped coconut, turmeric powder, salt & 1/2 cup water and mix all together.
- Put the fish pieces into the mixture and marinate the fish with the mixture.
- Take a nonstick flat pan, sprinkle some mustard oil at the bottom, place all the marinated fish pieces into the pan, drizzle the oil on the top, cover with a tight lid and place the pan on low heat for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes turn off the heat, but do not open the lid. Open the lid just before serving. Serve "Bhapa Ilish" with hot steamed rice. Enjoy...