Sorshe Bhapa Ilish
Hilsha Or Ilish is the most popular and tasty fish in Bengal. This fish is very aromatic itself. So we do not need much ingredient or a difficult recipe for this fish. Today I'm going to share a very popular but easy recipe named "Bhapa Ilish". Maa use to make this Bhapa Ilish the best I had till date. I've seen my Mother always cooks hassle free and fuss free. She never uses complicated recipes for any dish, only few ingredients and her cooking is done. She doesn't take much time for cooking too. And she always loves to do everything from scratch by herself. No helping hand she needs. As she says helping hands only ruin the charm of a good dish. She is 61, but till now very much fit and after doing her morning walk & exercises, she returns with fresh vegetables & fish from the market and starts cooking. She is an true inspiration for me. So for this Bhapa Ilish recipe also, she just marinate everything and put in kadai for the later procedure. And yes she always use Mortar & Pestle for making the Mustard paste for this recipe. She says using Mortar & Pestle gives better taste in any recipes.
This Bhapa Ilish recipe has been adopted from my Maa. In this Bhapa Ilish recipe raw Ilish/Hilsha pieces are steamed in mustard and coconut paste along with turmeric, green chili, salt and mustard oil. This is an effortless cooking. Only marinate the fish and put into a non-stick pan and cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes. No need to stir or add something in between cooking. You can do this Bhapa Ilish in Microwave oven too. You need to put on micro for 10 minutes each sides and turning in between carefully. And here is the recipe...
This Bhapa Ilish recipe has been adopted from my Maa. In this Bhapa Ilish recipe raw Ilish/Hilsha pieces are steamed in mustard and coconut paste along with turmeric, green chili, salt and mustard oil. You can do this Bhapa Ilish in Microwave oven too.
Ingredients of Bhapa Ilish
- Ilish/Hilsha fish 8 pieces, without head & tail
- Black Mustard 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Scraped coconut 1 cup
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chili 4 to 5, as per taste
- Mustard oil 4 tablespoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon
You may also like
How to make Bhapa Ilish Recipe
- Take the Hilsha fish pieces and marinate them with salt and turmeric and keep aside.
- Make a fine paste of mustard seeds along with some salt & few chilies with little water with it.
- Now take a bowl, put the mustard paste, scraped coconut, turmeric powder, salt & 1/2 cup water and mix all together.
- Put the fish pieces into the mixture and marinate the fish with the mixture.
- Take a nonstick flat pan, sprinkle some mustard oil at the bottom, place all the marinated fish pieces into the pan, drizzle the oil on the top, cover with a tight lid and place the pan on low heat for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes turn off the heat, but do not open the lid. Open the lid just before serving. Serve "Bhapa Ilish" with hot steamed rice. Enjoy...
Serving TipsServe "Bhapa Ilish" with steamed rice.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.64/5
No of likes - 425