This is a very light curry of Hilsha fish, which is cooked with eggplant & potato. Spices are used in a very little amount.
Ilish Macher Begun Alu Jhol Or Hilsha Fish Curry
For The Fish Curry: For tempering :
For The Fish Curry:
For tempering :
- Take a large bowl, put the fish pieces and lightly clean them with little water. Hilsha should not clean with lots of water. The flavor of the aromatic fish will be gone. Now rinse the fish and marinate with turmeric & salt.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan. When the oil will be Smokey enough, add each fish piece to the pan and fry very lightly and take the fish out of the pan and keep into a large bowl. In this way fry rest of the fish pieces.
- When fish frying is done, in the same oil add the Eggplants & potato and fry till the vegetables are fried enough. (Here is a small tip, you don't need to add more oil into the pan, Hilsa will release oil by itself.)
- In the meantime make a paste with turmeric, cumin & coriander powder & 3-4 tablespoons of water. When the vegetables are fried enough , add the spice paste into the pan and cook with the vegetables.
- When oil oozes from the spice, add 2 cups of water, enough salt and the lightly fried fish to the pan and cover it.
- Let the gravy boil for 15 minutes on medium flame to make the vegetables soft & tender. After 15 minutes open the lid and turn off the heat. Now take another pan or wok and heat 1 tablespoon of oil in it.
- When the oil is at the smoking point, add green chilis & kalonji to the pan and add the cooked hilsha gravy from the other pan, but very gently. Hilsa is a very delicate fish, it could break into pieces.
Add 1 tablespoon of mustard paste to the gravy and let the gravy boil for 5 minutes on high heat. After 5 minutes check the salt and turn off the heat. Serve with steamed rice