Ilish Macher Paturi is a typical Bengali dish. In this recipe Hilsa/Ilish fish steaks are marinated with ground spices and then wrapped in oily Kumro/Pumpkin or Banana leaf, and then roasted in nonstick pan or may be deep fried.
Hilsa/Ilish Macher Paturi in Kumro/Pumpkin Leaf
Ilish Macher Paturi is a typical Bengali dish. In this recipe Hilsa/Ilish fish steaks are marinated with ground spices and then wrapped in oily Pumpkin or Banana leaf, and then roasted in nonstick pan or may be deep fried. I use Pumpkin leaf because I love to eat the spice marinated leaf as well. But if you can not find Pumpkin leaf, banana leaf is also a good option. This is a typical Bengali or I should say East Bengali dish. This recipe is very easy to prepare, effortless, no need to cook for long time. Infact any Hilsa recipe is indeed very quick and easy. So why should we waste our time in talking about hilsa, we all know the fact. Let's jump and peek the process.
Step 1 :
- Take the ilish pieces and wash very gentely under tap water & pat dry. Put the fish pieces on a plate and marinate them with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric & 1 teaspoon salt.
- Now take the mustard seeds in a grinder, add 4 green chilis, 3-4 tablespoons water and ground to make smooth paste. Now add the scraped coconut into the grinder and 2 tablespoons of water and ground to make fine paste.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl, add rest of salt, turmeric and 4 tablespoons of oil and mix well. Now pour the spice mixture on the fish pieces and marinate the fish. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
Step 2 :
- In the meantime prepare the leaves. Boil some water, take each Pumpkin leaf & dip into the boiled water to make the leaf soft. Now grease the darker side with some mustard oil and keep aside for later use.
- After 30 minutes, take each greased Pumpkin leaf, put 1 fish piece, put 2 tablespoons of the marination, top with 1 green chili and bind with thread. This is a very delicate step, do not hurry, otherwise the leaf can be teared. If 1 leaf is not enough, put another to support it. If you are using Banana leaf, lightly roast it on flame to make it soft and foldable.
- And rest of the process is same as Pumpkin leaf.
Step 3 :
- Now heat a nonstick pan or a tawa, heat 2 tablespoons of Mustrd oil in it, place 2/3 fish parcels in it and cover the pan with a lid. Lower te flame and cook 5 minutes on each side.
Step 4 :
- Take the parcels out of the pan and serve hot. If you want the deep fry them, heat enough oil in a pan, and deep fry each fish parcel. Remember do not over crowd the pan, one parcel at a time for deep frying. Now serve the Paturi with hot steamed rice. And remember to cut the thread before eating.