Hilsa/Ilish Macher Paturi in Kumro/Pumpkin Leaf
Ilish Macher Paturi is a typical Bengali dish. In this recipe Hilsa/Ilish fish steaks are marinated with ground spices and then wrapped in oily Kumro/Pumpkin or Banana leaf, and then roasted in nonstick pan or may be deep fried.
Ingredients of Ilish Macher Paturi
- Ilish/Hilsa 6 pieces, only steaks
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt 2 teaspoons
- Black mustard seeds 3 tablespoons
- Scraped Coconut 1 cup
- Green chilis 10
- Mustard Oil 2+2+4 tablespoons
- Pumpkin/Banana leaves 10 to 12
- White thread to bind
You may also like
Step 1 :
- Take the ilish pieces and wash very gentely under tap water & pat dry. Put the fish pieces on a plate and marinate them with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric & 1 teaspoon salt.
- Now take the mustard seeds in a grinder, add 4 green chilis, 3-4 tablespoons water and ground to make smooth paste. Now add the scraped coconut into the grinder and 2 tablespoons of water and ground to make fine paste.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl, add rest of salt, turmeric and 4 tablespoons of oil and mix well. Now pour the spice mixture on the fish pieces and marinate the fish. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
Step 2 :
- In the meantime prepare the leaves. Boil some water, take each Pumpkin leaf & dip into the boiled water to make the leaf soft. Now grease the darker side with some mustard oil and keep aside for later use.
- After 30 minutes, take each greased Pumpkin leaf, put 1 fish piece, put 2 tablespoons of the marination, top with 1 green chili and bind with thread. This is a very delicate step, do not hurry, otherwise the leaf can be teared. If 1 leaf is not enough, put another to support it. If you are using Banana leaf, lightly roast it on flame to make it soft and foldable.
- And rest of the process is same as Pumpkin leaf.
Step 3 :
- Now heat a nonstick pan or a tawa, heat 2 tablespoons of Mustrd oil in it, place 2/3 fish parcels in it and cover the pan with a lid. Lower te flame and cook 5 minutes on each side.
Step 4 :
- Take the parcels out of the pan and serve hot. If you want the deep fry them, heat enough oil in a pan, and deep fry each fish parcel. Remember do not over crowd the pan, one parcel at a time for deep frying. Now serve the Paturi with hot steamed rice. And remember to cut the thread before eating.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.51/5
No of likes - 214