Kolkata Style (Arsalan Restaurant) Easy Chicken Chaap Or ChaanpChicken chaap is a Bengali mughlai dish. Here Big chicken pieces marinated and cooked in spicy and rich poppy seed based gravy. This is a dry type dish is served with biryani, naan, rumali roti etc.
- Chicken big pieces - 1 kg or 2 lbs
- Onion paste - 1 cup
- Ginger garlic - 4 tablespoons
- Red chili powder - 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tablespoon
- Salt as per taste
- Saffron pinch dissolved in 1/2 cup of water
- Nutmeg (Jaiphal) & Mace (Javitri) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cashew , charmagaj/melon seed , poppy seed paste 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Vegetable /Canola Oil - 1/2 cup
- Mawa - 1/2 cup
- Unsweetend Fulfat Yogurt - 1 cup
- Garam masala powder - 1 teaspoon
- Green cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Kewra water 2 teaspoon
Steps to Prepare
Prick the flesh of the chicken all over with a fork. Then, using a sharp knife, cut slashes in the flesh to allow the marinade to penetrate.
In a pan, where you will cook the chicken, take all the ingredients and mix well. Then add chicken into the mixture and rub it into the flesh, turning the chicken several times. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking. Now put the marinated chicken in a covered pan and place on stove top and on medium heat let the chicken cook till the meat becomes soft and tender.
It will take around 45 minutes. After some time turn the chicken pieces. After 45 minutes open the lid and higher the heat to evaporate all the water comes from chicken .
When all the water will be evaporated and oil will separate from masala off the stove and pour the chap on a serving plate and serve hot.
Serve chicken chap with rumali roti or biryani or pulao.
Take the Quarter Leg Pieces for this Dish, it will be even more better in taste.