Radha Ballavi is a very famous deep fried Bengali Flat Bread. This Radha Ballavi serves in special occasion like "Puja".
In every Puja at my home, mom used to make this "Lentil stuffed deep fried Puri" with a spicy Potato curry, which is called "Aloor Torkari". And when I was kid, this two items were mendatary in all Marraige Party. "Radhabollovi & Aloor Dom" is the famous duo for Marraige Party. And the size used to be big and thick, one was enough for me, the size wise. So I always held myself back to take more than one. Here I'm sharing this authentic "Radhabollovi" recipe to experience the taste at your home. Radha Ballavi is a very famous deep fried Bengali Flat Bread. This Radha Ballavi serves in special occasion like "Puja". Here I have made "Radha Ballavi" for "Janmashtami" special. This deep fried puries serve with "Niramish Aloor Dum" Or "simple "Potato Curry".
Ingredients of Radha Ballavi
- Urad Dal Or Biulir Dal 1/2 cup
- Ginger Grated 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seed 1 tablespoon
- Coriander seed 1 tablespoon
- Whole red chili 2
- Hing 1 pinch or 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt & sugar as per taste
- Vegetable oil 2 tablespoons
For Puri Or Flat Bread :
- All purpose flour or Maida 2 cups
- Ghee or Melted butter 2 tablespoons
- Salt and sugar as per taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
How to make Radha Ballavi Recipe
- Heat a pan and dry roast the cumin, coriander & red chili for 2-3 minutes. Let the seeds cool down and dry grind them in a spice grinder and keep aside. Now wash and soak Urad dal for 1 hour. After 1 hour, boil the dal with 1 cup of plain water.
- After boiling the dal, let it completely cool down. When it the boiled dal is at room temperature, drain the dal and grind in a grinder with little water, Fennel seeds and grated ginger, to make a fine paste. Now place the "Dal Paste" in a bowl and add salt, hing & ground cumin + coriander + red chili, and mix with hand.
- Now heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and pour the dal mixture into the pan, and fry the mixture for 5 -6 minutes to dry the dal mixture.
- After 5-6 minutes turn off the heat and put the stuffing in a bowl and let it cool down completely. Now it's time to make the dough.
- Take a bowl and add the maida, salt, sugar & ghee to it and mix with hand. The mixture will be crumbly. Now add look warm water to make a soft and smooth dough.
- Kneed the dough well to make it smooth and soft. After making the dough add 2-3 drops of oil on the surface of the dough to protect the surface from cracks.
- Cover the dough with a dump cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes make small balls from the dough.
- Make a hole in one ball and place 1 teaspoon full of stuffing inside the hole and close the hole and round the dough between the palms of your hand. Roll them as you would make puris.
- Take a deep wok ,and heat enough oil into it. Let the oil heat up before you slide the Kochuris in. Slide one stuffed Kochuri into the oil ,give both sides a minute each before turning.
- Use a slotted spatula to take them out of the oil. Drain each Kochuri on paper towels to get that excess oil out.
- Serve 'Radha Ballavi' with Alur Dom Or Alur Torkari.