Bhuni khichuri is a One pot rice meal cooked with Aromatic Rice and Yellow Lentil(Mung Dal) along with Vegetables like Carrot, Cauliflower, Potato, Peas. This Bhuni khichuri is seasoned with roasted ground Whole Spices. The specialty of this Bhuni khichuri is, the Rice and Lentil should be whole not totally mashed. This is a very flavorful version of Famous Khichuri. My Grand Mom (My mother's Mom) used to make this typical Bhuni khichurii during Pujo as Bhog. My Grand Mom's special Bhog was very famous in our locality. My Grand Mom is no more with us. She left us 8 yrs ago. But I still remember her cooked food, specially thisBhuni khichuri I have tried to make this Bhuni khichuri, but it was not exactly taste like my Grand Mom. But 80% similar to the taste. I hope you guys can try this recipe and get a wonderful aromatic One Pot Rice Meal, Bhuni khichuri.
Bhuni khichuri is a One pot Rice meal, cooked with Yellow Lenti (Mung Dal) & Basmati Rice along with Vegetables and other spices. Vegetables are optional. This Bhuni khichuri does not need any sides, but if you want this can be served with Crispy Potato Fry, Fried Eggplant, Labda or Bengali traditional mixed vegetable mishmash, tomato chutney & payesh etc.
Bhuni khichuri is a One pot rice meal cooked with Aromatic Rice and Yellow Lentil(Mung Dal) along with Vegetables. This Bhuni khichuri is seasoned with roasted ground Whole Spices. The specialty of this Bhuni khichuri is, the Rice and Lentil should be whole not totally mashed.
Ingredients of Bhuni Khichuri
- Sona Moong Dal 1/2 cup
- Basmati Or Gobindo Bhog Rice 1/2 cup
- Cashew 10 pieces, roughly chopped
- Raisins 10 piees
- Tomato 2 chopped
- Ginger paste 2 tablespoons
- Cumin powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili powder 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Cumin Seeds 2 tablespoons
- Bay Leaf 2 medium
- Cinamon stick 1
- Cloves 4 to 5
- Green Cardamom pods 3 to 4
- Whole Red Chili 1
- Salt and Sugar as per taste
- Vegetable oil 4 tablespoons
- Ghee - 2 tablespoons
You may also like
How to make Bhuni Khichuri Recipe
- First heat a pan and dry roast the Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom Pods, Whole Red Chili & Cumin Seeds. Turn off the heat and let the Roasted Spices cool down. When they are completely cool down dry grind the Whole Spices in a Spice Grinder to make a coarse powder and set aside.
- Take a pan and heat it. Now dry roast the Moong Dal, put in a strainer along with the rice and wash thoroughly. Soak them in tap water for 39 minutes.
- Take another pan and heat 2 tablespoons of Mustard oil & 1 tablespoon ghee in it. Fry the cashew & raisins till golden in color, take them out of the pan and keep aside.
- Add the Bay leaf & cumin seeds to the pan and fry till the fragrance comes from the spices. Now add the Chopped Tomatoes to the pan and add some salt and sugar and cook the Tomato for 5 minutes. Add the Ginger paste to the pan. ( I've made a paste of tomato & ginger and added to the pan). Now take a small bowl, add Turmeric, Red Chili powder, Cumin Powder and little water and make a smooth paste. Now add this spice paste to the pan and fry the spices by sprinkling some water to prevent the spices to get burnt.
- Add the Fried cashew & raisins to the Spice mixture and mix well with the Spices. Now add the soaked rice & dal into the Pan where you prepare the masala. Add another 2 1/2 cups of water to the pan and cook them together for 15 minutes.
- Add Salt and Sugar if needed. Add the the Ground Whole Spices to the pan and mix with the Khichuri. Let the Bhuni Khichuri stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Garnish with chopped Pista and Saffron Threads and serve chilled.
NotesYou can use normal moong dal if Sona moog dal is not available. Cashew & Raisins are optional.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 5/5
No of likes - 1