Khichuri indeed a very delicious dish, and if it is Bhuni Khichrui, the taste becomes double. Bhuni Khichuri is a dry type khichuri where rice and dal should not be mashed at all & must be loaded with ghee. If shrimp is added into that, the taste will be beyond your expectations.
Bengali Moong Dal Khichuri With Shrimp
- Take a pan and boil some water in it, now soak the moong dal in it for 1hour.
- In the meantime take a pan or handi, where you are going to cook the Khichuri, heat oil & ghee, temper with cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods, bay leaf & both the chilies. Fry for few seconds and add the sliced onion. Add little salt and fry till the onion becomes soft and nice golden in colour. Sprinkle some water to prevent the onion from burning.
- Now take a small bowl, add grated ginger & garlic, turmeric, cumin powder & little water and make a paste. Add the paste into the pan and stir fry till oil starts separating from the masala.
- Add the tomato with little water like 2 tablespoons and cover the pan with a lid for few seconds. Open after 10 seconds, you will find the tomato becomes pulpy. Start frying the masala for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds add the marinated shrimps and mix well with the masala for 1 minute, in this way shrimps will be cooked.
- Now add soaked moong dal & rice and warm water to the pan, add salt & sugar to taste, cover the pan and let the khichudi cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- After 15minutes open the lid and check if the dal is cooked or not. Remember the dal should not be completely boiled, it will be soft boiled only. if the dal is not boiled enough or if it is not mashed by finger, add little water and again cover if another 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes open the cover, check for the salt and sugar, add if needed, add ghee and mix it carefully. As the rice is very fragile, could be mashed by the spatula.
- Now your 'Shrimp Bhuni Khichuri' is ready. Serve it with papad if you want. I have it as it is.