This is a sweet crepe made with ground rice, all purpose flour, semolina and milk. And the crepes are stuffed with scraped coconut, khoya kheer and molasses stuffing. This is a very popular Pitha for this "Poush Parbon" festival
Bengali Coconut Stuffed Crepes Or Patishapta
Ingredients of Kheerer Patishapta
For the Crepes :
- Basmati Rice 1 cup, soaked in water for 1 hour
- Semolina 1/3 cup
- Maida 1/3 cup
- Date Plam Jaggery OR Sugar 4 tablespoons
- Milk 1/2 cup + little more if needed
For the Filling :
- Khoya Kheer (store bought) 1 1/2 cup
- Scraped Coconut 1/2 cup
- Crashed green cardamom 4 to 5
- Full fat Milk 1/2 cup
- Ghee to fry the Patishapta
How to make Kheerer Patishapta Recipe
At first take the soaked rice and strain all the water with a strainer and spread the rice on a large paper towel to make the rice dry. When the rice will be dry enough, ground the rice in a grinder. But do not heat the rice by grinding it. Trun on the grinder for 1 minute and then turn off to cool down the grinder. In this way grind all the rice. This process will take alleast 30 minutes to grind all the rice. If the ground rice is not very fine, it's ok. 80% fine is ok.
Making the Filling :
- First take a pan and mix all the ingredients under the heading of "Filling". Turn on the heat and place the pan on medium heat and stir constantly to prevent burning at the bottom.
- At first coconut will release lots of water, slowly eveporate the water and make a soft but not watery mixture by stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down.
Making the Crepe Batter
- Take a large bowl, and add ground rice, semolina & maida into it and mix with a hand mixture (if hand mixture is not available at home use a dinner fork to mix). Now add milk little by little to make the batter. Add little milk at a time to avoid lumps. Once all the lumps are gone, add rest of the milk to make a smooth batter.
- Remember the batter should be thinner than the dosa batter.
Making the Crepes :
- Place a small Non-stick flat pan Or tawa and on medium heat, apply few drops of melted ghee and spread all over the pan.
- Add 1 big spoon full of the batter on the pan and immediately spread the batter all ove the pan. Let the crepe cook for 1 minute. When the edges will start loosen up, carefully flip the crepe to cook the other side.
- After 30 seconds again flip the crepe, add 2-3 tablespoons of the filling at one side of the crepe, roll the crepe along with the filling like wrap.
- Remove the Patishapta by using the spatula and place on a dish. Serve the Patishapta warm.
- Or you make make it Kheer Shapta by soaking the Patishaptas into warm Kheer made by boiling 1 cup milk, 1 cup fresh cream, 1/3 cup sugar & 1 crushed elach. Boil all together bu stirring constantly for 10 minutes. At first put the Patishaptas onto a flat serving plate, and the pour the kheer on them. Serve warm.... See the steps here. Enjoy..................
Serve "Malpoa" hot or chilled.