This is a very spicy, oily type of gravy based recipe. The gravy should be thick tangy and Indian pickle flavored.
Achari Paneer Or Cottage Cheese Cooked In Spicy & Tangy Gravy
I tried this dish in one of an Indian restaurant where we live. But I tasted the dish with Chicken, and I liked the dish so much. I thought of making the same recipe with paneer instead of chicken to make it vegetarian. And belive me it came out absolutely fantastic. In fact my husband liked it more than the chicken dish. So here I am sharing the recipe with you. Hope you will like it..... Achari Paneer is a popoular North Indian paneer dish. This is a very spicy, oily type of gravy based recipe. The gravy should be thick tangy and Indian pickle flavored. For this recipe Indian pickle spices are used to give the pickle touch. Usually this Paneer dish is served with Tandoori Roti Or Naan.
Ingredients of Achari Paneer
For Pickle Spices :
- Cumin Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Whole Red Chili 1
For Seasoning :
- Mustard Seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek Seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Nigella Or Kalonji 1/2 teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Hing Or Asafoetida 1 pinch Or 1/8 teaspoon
Other Ingredients :
- Vegetable oil 4 tablespoons
- Paneer grams.
- Onion 1 small, paste
- Capsicum paste 1/3 cup
- Ginger 1 teaspoon, paste
- Garlic 1 teaspoon, paste
- Green Chilies 2 to 3, paste
- Tomato 2 medium size, paste
- Full Fat Curd 1/2 cup, well beaten
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt as per taste
How to make Achari Paneer Recipe
- Heat a pan and dry roast the pickle spices on the hot pan till a nice aroma comes from the seeds. Place the roasted seeds on a plate to cool them completely. When they are at the room temperature, ground the seeds and keep aside.
- Now take a sauce pan and boil 3 cups of water with 1 teaspoon of salt, turn off the heat and put the paneer into the boiled water for 1 hour to make the paneer soft. (I never fry paneer, paneer becomes chewy after frying).
- After 1 hour take the paneer out of the hot water and cut into bite size square type pieces and keep aside.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan. Season the oil with all the ingredients under the heading of "Seasoning" (mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, kalonji, nigella, fennel seeds & hing).
- Add the onion & capsicum paste to the pan and fry till the onion paste starts changing color. Add ginger garlic & green chili paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Now add turmeric & tomato paste and cover the pan to cook the tomato and remove the raw flavor of the tomato on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Open the lid after 2-3 minutes and higher the heat to evaporate any excess water of the pan.
- Add beaten curd and the panner, and mix well with the onion tomato masala and fry till oil oozes. (Remember one thing, the curd must be full fat and at the room temperature, if you remove the curd just before adding it to the gravy, the curd will curdle as soon as you add it to the gravy).
- Add 1 cup of water and salt to your taste and cover the pan to bring the gravy to a nice boil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- After 5 minutes open the lid and add the dry roasted ground pickle spice on the gravy and turn off the heat. Garnish with chopped green chilies and cilantro.
- Serve with Tandoori Roti Or Naan....
- If you like my recipes, please go & like my Facebook Page